Skip to content

The only thing that always had me wondering in BG1

When I played BG1 when it was still new I almost always played a Fighter type. Mages and Druids and Clerics, for example, just seemed so weak.

Then came BG2 and of course there Mages etc, started off at a higher level and were powerful.

Still it makes me wonder. Some classes just seem so weak as a main character in BG1, and I get the feeling that you don't really unlock their power until you hit BG2, or that they add very much to a group.

What are your thoughts on this, and is there something I am overlooking? Maybe I am just too used to being "the main char" in a group and I can't mentally handle being the weakest link.. :-)

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    All the classes are really useful, BG1 or otherwise. Whether or not they'll actually do much of the killing themselves is another matter.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    http://www.geekindustrialcomplex.com/articles/linear-fighters-vs-quadratic-wizards

not sure how i found this, probably this forum, but this is very true to core dnd rules, and this game is true to dnd :)
  • Saber_ScorpionSaber_Scorpion Member Posts: 8
    Mages are weak in BG1, yes, but Clerics remain among the best classes in D&D - they are anything but weak. Their buffing and healing spells make them very powerful characters If you're playing a non-human, try starting off as multi-class Figher/Cleric or Fighter/Druid to buff your hit points and THAC0 a bit.

Mages are more powerful later in the game, but they don't really get to shine until BG2.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited November 2012
    Spellcasters need to work as disablers at the beginning - hold person, web, blindness, command, charm... all these spells are obtained early and make you feel that they actually contribute to the party - after level 5 you can start exploding stuff.
  • PomPom Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2012
    I have always wanted to try out a Druid or Cleric. Any tips on this, as in what kits or dual / multi class etc? I have been looking for a good guide, but have not found one on this subject.

And yeah, what Schneidend said, especially in the beginning a Mage just seems to boring to me. Of course they are powerful, but you don't do that much until later. I could never get past the 'start' with them.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    It's a reflection of the way DnD rules work. When they came out with 4th edition they tried to ensure that every class gets abilities at the same time... but it just doesn't feel 'right' to me.

But yeah lv1 fighter outclasses lv1 mage and lvl10 mage outclasses lvl10 fighter. What level the two pass each other in relative power is debatable, but that's how DnD pre-4e always worked.
  • PomPom Member Posts: 9
    Yeah, I understand that now. I just never played D&D outside of PC games, so then it can leave some questions for the player.