Skip to content

BG2:EE WeiDu Mods and Ubuntu

dukebonedukebone Member Posts: 1
I've modded this game for Windows a ton. But now I've transitioned to Linux and finally managed to get it installed. The only problem is I can not figure how to install the Tweaks Anthology mod on here. Can anyone tell me what this means and how to do it?

"Download the latest version of WeiDU for Linux from WeiDU.org and copy WeiDU and WeInstall to /usr/bin. Following that, open a terminal, cd to your game installation directory, run tolower and answer Y to both queries. You can avoid running the second option (linux.ini) if you've already ran it once in the same directory. To save time, the archive is already tolowered, so there's no need to run the first option (lowercasing file names) either if you've extracted only this mod since the last time you lowercased file names. If you're unsure, running tolower and choosing both options is the safe bet.

To install, run WeInstall cdtweaks in your game folder."

Comments

• inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited November 2020
    Those instructions are outdated (from the time before the Enhanced Editions, when people played and modded the Windows version of the original games on Linux using Wine.)
    For the Enhanced Editions (BG:EE, BG2:EE, IWD:EE), that "tolower" trick no longer works because the game itself now expects some of its files in non-lowercase.

Here is a very detailed guide to modding the Enhanced Editions on Linux:
    https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/28516-the-linux-users-guide-to-installing-mods-on-the-enhanced-editions/

Basically, there are two Linux-specific problems to overcome when installing mods:

1) Case sensitive filesystem.
    Linux filesystems are case-sensitive, which is problematic for WeiDU (the mod installer).
    There are multiple solutions to choose from:
    • Install the game on a case-insentitive partition (such as NTFS), if you have one.
    • Or, create a "virtual disk" with a case-insentitive filesystem (such a NTFS) that is stored as a single file in your normal filesystem. This is the solution used by the guide I linked above.
    • Or, make the game folder appear case-insensitive to WeiDU using ciopfs.
    • Or, use the experimental casefolding feature of the standard Linux ext4 filesystem to make the game folder case-insentitive.
    • Or, use something like "tolower" to lowercase all game files before installing each mod, but then restore the original case of every filename before running the game. This is difficult, and there is no good tutorial for it.

2) Backslashes in paths.
    Some mods store additional file paths in Chitin.key, the game's resource index - and unfortunately, WeiDU likes to store them with backslashes (like Windows uses) rather than forward slashes (like Linux uses).
    Solution:
    • Install the "nix-wrongslashes" mod after such a mod, to fix your Chitin.key. This, too, is explained in the guide linked above.

Happy modding!