Skip to content

Mod suggestions/rant

darmoyasundarmoyasun Member Posts: 3
edited December 2020 in General Modding
Hello, i’m typing on my phone and english isnt my main Language, sorry for my bad grammar :#
Anyway.
I played a lot of bg3 recently and decided to go back to the old classics, bg1 and 2 in the form of the modded eet version.

I downloaded a bunch of mods without too much knowledge of their contents, i played and got to around chapter 6 of bg1 before i got really annoyed by a very very frustrating mod «Sandra saga».
My goal here is to get some recommendations for other good large mods, or maybe some warnings about other mods which plays like Sandra saga.

Stuff that really annoyed me was:
Way to op unblanaced crap (like the wolf companion in the mod, he’s like a cosmic god, it can’t die, it cant be removed and deals way to much damage)
Forced romance lol

Im about to reinstall BG EET, i will never look back at the menace i spent 30 hours playing :(
Thanks

Comments

• darmoyasundarmoyasun Member Posts: 3
    Isewein wrote: »
    Sandrah is quite unique in its miserable quality of writing & documentation (not to mention character of the author, who is notorious for "borrowing" other modders' content). I'm so sorry this was your first glimpse of the BG2 modding world - please believe me when I tell you the vast majority of mods are nothing like it at all. Check out any number of "recommended mods" threads here or at Gibberlings3 and you will find what you are looking for - no forced romance or unbalanced crap in any of them. A couple of must haves are the BG1 NPC Project and IEP Banter / Friendship packs if you are looking for story & dialogue expansion, as well as everything by modders Lava, Jastey & Kulyok for medium-sized, well-polished quest mods. If you are interested in mechanics & challenges, check out SCS (but follow the readme closely in picking components). Some of the other, larger quest mods do not integrate all that well into the game in terms of narrative & balance (nowhere nearly as terribly as Sandrah, though!), so I personally wouldn't run with too many of them at once, but Dark Side / Northern Tales of the Sword Coast for BG1 have been updated for balance recently and should be safe to go. Tower of Deception is another great quest mod for BG2.

That's the problem when new players stumble upon the "Baldur's Extended World" pages and assume it to be a regular fansite...

Wow thanks, I'll be sure to read more into those! Thank you very much! I spent some time reading through the forums yesterday and I was actually creeped out by the "alt" accounts and the (mod borrowing) stuff.
    for some reason i felt a little terrified that I had spent so much time with this weird ass mod haha. Anyway I think I pinned down some of the worst culprits to stay away from "Saerileth, Imoen romance and Sandrah saga" I think :D
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    edited December 2020
    Imoen Romance should by no means be lumped in with those! It's actually one of the best character expansion mods out there, with branching paths, story integration and good writing. It includes content aplenty for her even if the thought of Imoen as a love interest for Charname wouldn't even cross your mind. Its name is a bit of a misnomer, and a lot of negative reviews out there were for a long obsolete version of the mod which included some odd content, but has since been straightened out.
  • xiaoleiwenxiaoleiwen Member Posts: 186
    edited February 2021
    I just finished my bgee playthrough (and Half way of SOD) with Sirene, Drake, Aura, Isra and Xan (Bg1npc + Xan’s BG1 Frienship), without using any big quest mod. Very fun and well written, highly recommended.I like them so much and I even brought them to all original npc (29 people!) and used Ctrl+I to see the banters, very funny and enjoyable.

Highly recommended for Aura as she is not only very written, her kit, mechanic and inventions brought so much fun and surprisingly I didn’t feel unbalanced such as those happened in certain mod when introducing several stuffs to their npc.