Skip to content

Ruby and the Last Unicorn - a children's story. (Promo)

jimdad55jimdad55 Member Posts: 75
edited December 2020 in NWN:EE Modules
If you are looking for a new module to play with children or grandchildren over the holiday period, I've just posted a new module over on the Vault called "Ruby and the Last Unicorn". It is designed to be played by or with children aged maybe 8 and upwards, possibly along with an adult to help with quick movements. I created it originally for my own granddaughter to keep her busy over the first lockdown but I kinda got carried away and have only finished play testing now ! Link is here.

It tells the story of a kidnapped unicorn and the struggle by Ruby and her Grandad ( self labelled as "the most powerful wizard in the world" but possibly considerably less than that ) to find and return the unicorn. There is some violence ( and the characters can be killed) but it has been tempered to make it possible for kids to survive without too much trauma. In particular, the companions, Grandad and the feline one are designed to try to help keep the party alive !

It is my first, and possibly only(!), module but came about because I've been working with a Games Design class in my local school introducing them to the toolset. Over the year ( before lockdown) we covered many aspects of the toolset and I was struck by how good some of the community assets were but how little I'd seen of them in modules over the year to be able to show the class. So, part of my hope was that my module could show them the improvement in the look that various haks could have.

ruk0islgwv39.jpg

4t2hc54bccdh.jpg

For this reason there are quite a few required projects attached to the module which you would have to download if you don't already have them. There are also some other features I've tried to include:

* many of the conversations are voiced - my granddaughter was indignant that she could now read and why couldn't she SAY the lines ( so she did!) which resulted in Grandad and Grandma also being roped into contributing. As the toolset doesn't seem to like two files attached to one dialogue box I combined the two audio files into one

* some people at the Vault were very kind in offering their time to make some new models for me plus a puzzle to be solved

* Because it was aimed at young children I've used a quest in the journal to devote to giving hints as they go along ( for "busy" adults I've also included a short walkthrough)

* cutscenes - these were included as we covered this with my pupils last session and they loved them! Said they made the game look more modern.

* Opening and closing titles

The number of required projects might put some off but you may already have some of them and if not, I would suggest they are at least worth looking at on their own. Be aware, this is my first attempt at building ( how much fun is it, btw?) but I think it hangs together well . . . and the most important thing is that my granddaughter loved it !
Post edited by jimdad55 on

Comments

• jimdad55jimdad55 Member Posts: 75
    Isewein wrote: »
    This is such a sweet idea! You've got yourself one very lucky granddaughter, Sir! ;)

I suspect it may be the other way round but thank you for the comment :)
  • AtrophiedericAtrophiederic Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 147
    Friend @jimdad55 ,
    Best. Grandfather. Ever.
    Posted an update to this module, including an extra file comprising haks which were required projects but I got permission to bundle them into a download - so less work involved in downloading. Also, made some improvements based on comments at the Vault.
    Just a quick note to say that is has been brought to my attention that one of the haks in the Last Unicorn folder for download wasn't actually a hak ! This has now been sorted on the project page and apologies to anyone who had a problem getting it to open.