Skip to content

Irenicus dungeon items

Hi all.... noob here. Just started playing and I'm in the library. All inventories totally full, especially with axes and the books. What items should I leave? How do you determine the value of standard items at this point? Thanks in advance for any advice
iosfrustration

Comments

• ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    edited December 2020
    yorkdave wrote: »
    Hi all.... noob here. Just started playing and I'm in the library. All inventories totally full, especially with axes and the books. What items should I leave? How do you determine the value of standard items at this point? Thanks in advance for any advice

Hi!

I don't know how much I can tell you without spoilers. You're going to be able to sell stuff eventually, of course, but you won't be able to carry everything you find until then, even with a full party of 6.
    If you're playing the game for the first time and aren't in a hurry, I'd recommend reading the books for some interesting background lore. They're not worth keeping to sell, though, if you're not a hoarder. If I remember correctly, books sell for 1 GP.

Keep every magical item, keep scrolls, potions, good weapons, and ammunition (you can stack ammo and place it in the respective slots even for characters who aren't using bows or crossbows) that at least one of your party needs.

Of non-magical weapons, bows are worth a bit more tha those small axes. Plain leather armor isn't worth keeping, either.
    Keep anything that needs to be identified or has +1 or more enchantment.

Don't let stuff lying on the ground if you mean to keep it (like loot dropped by killed enemies or party members). It will vanish after a certain time period (I think 24 in-game hours?). If you put stuff into a chest, barrel or whatever container, even in public places, it won't vanish. Remember to do that before you rest after a fight.

TL;DR:
    Leave the books (after reading) and the axes.

Hope that helped a bit. Have fun, and feel free to ask more.

Edit: You can also equip stuff like necklaces or rings, even if they don't serve any magical purpose, just to free inventory space. You'll just have to remember to take them off when you find a place to sell stuff. Also, use your quickslots and spare weapon slots to make room in your inventory, and look which items stack so that you give them to the same person.
    iosfrustrationViekang
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    Later you'll find things like gem bags, potion cases, scroll cases and bags of holding that will make things much easier. Until then, items that aren't worth carrying out of Irenicus' dungeon include axes, daggers, staffs, leather armour, small shields, bucklers, helmets and spears which are all worth only one gold piece. Maces, medium shields and shortswords are only worth two so they're next to worthless as well.
    Arviaiosfrustration
  • yorkdaveyorkdave Member Posts: 8
    Arvia wrote: »

Hi!

I don't know how much I can tell you without spoilers. You're going to be able to sell stuff eventually, of course, but you won't be able to carry everything you find until then, even with a full party of 6.
    If you're playing the game for the first time and aren't in a hurry, I'd recommend reading the books for some interesting background lore. They're not worth keeping to sell, though, if you're not a hoarder. If I remember correctly, books sell for 1 GP.

Keep every magical item, keep scrolls, potions, good weapons, and ammunition (you can stack ammo and place it in the respective slots even for characters who aren't using bows or crossbows) that at least one of your party needs.

Of non-magical weapons, bows are worth a bit more tha those small axes. Plain leather armor isn't worth keeping, either.

Don't let stuff lying on the ground if you mean to keep it (like loot dropped by killed enemies or party members). It will vanish after a certain time period (I think 24 in-game hours?). If you put stuff into a chest, barrel or whatever container, even in public places, it won't vanish. Remember to do that before you rest after a fight.

TL;DR:

Edit: You can also equip stuff like necklaces or rings, even if they don't serve any magical purpose, just to free inventory space. You'll just have to remember to take them off when you find a place to sell stuff. Also, use your quickslots and spare weapon slots to make room in your inventory, and look which items stack so that you give them to the same person.

Thank you very much, this helped a lot. As an old time RPG player (Gothic days), I always worry I might need something I did not carry
    Arviaiosfrustration
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Later you'll find things like gem bags, potion cases, scroll cases and bags of holding that will make things much easier. Until then, items that aren't worth carrying out of Irenicus' dungeon include axes, daggers, staffs, leather armour, small shields, bucklers, helmets and spears which are all worth only one gold piece. Maces, medium shields and shortswords are only worth two so they're next to worthless as well.

Thanks, I appreciate the input. That is a lot of junk I can unload
    iosfrustration
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    Arvia wrote: »

Hi!

TL;DR:

Thank you very much, this helped a lot. As an old time RPG player (Gothic days), I always worry I might need something I did not carry

If you have experience with other RPGs, I suppose there's no need to tell you to keep every item that doesn't have an immediately apparent use or that seems to be a part of something.
    Quest items or useful stuff are usually recognizable from their description.
    Balrog99iosfrustration
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    A general rule of thumb on keeping items to sell: magical items are expensive and worth keeping. So are katanas and plate mail, though you need a bag of holding or a strong character to carry the latter. With other bits, it varies - from staves and slings and nonmagical ammo worth nothing at all, to longbows and medium armor worth maybe 30 gold.

When you do go to sell items, you get a better price from merchants that don't already have some of that item in stock. Shop around a bit, instead of just going to the same merchant all the time. Also, later in the game, there are some merchants that just have better base prices for selling to - the priestess in the Sahuagin city, Ribald's "special stock" in chapter 6, the priestess in Suldanesselar, a few options in ToB.

As far as containers go ...
    Various merchants have gem bags and scroll cases you can buy (100-item capacity). For a potion case (also 100 items), you can visit Watcher's Keep and buy from the merchant there. There's also an ammo belt (2000 items) if you're willing to enter the dungeon itself, although that's quite dangerous for low-level characters.
    There are two bags of holding available in the SoA campaign, each with a 100-item capacity. The first is from Hexxat - do her first quest at the Tomb of Dragomir for it. The second is found in Spellhold, during chapter 4.
    Then when ToB rolls around, you get more. More scroll cases, gem bags, and potion cases. A 2000-item bag of holding. It's quite practical at that point to just pick up everything and sell it off in large batches.

On "items that don't have an immediately apparent use or that seem to be a part of something"... most of what you find in Irenicus' dungeon is used there. There are two exceptions - the acorns, which are for a minor side quest in one of the areas you can travel to when you get out, and the pommel gem, which is part of an item you can't put together until chapter 6.
    iosfrustration
    jmerry wrote: »
    A general rule of thumb on keeping items to sell: magical items are expensive and worth keeping. So are katanas and plate mail, though you need a bag of holding or a strong character to carry the latter. With other bits, it varies - from staves and slings and nonmagical ammo worth nothing at all, to longbows and medium armor worth maybe 30 gold.

When you do go to sell items, you get a better price from merchants that don't already have some of that item in stock. Shop around a bit, instead of just going to the same merchant all the time. Also, later in the game, there are some merchants that just have better base prices for selling to - the priestess in the Sahuagin city, Ribald's "special stock" in chapter 6, the priestess in Suldanesselar, a few options in ToB.

As far as containers go ...
    Various merchants have gem bags and scroll cases you can buy (100-item capacity). For a potion case (also 100 items), you can visit Watcher's Keep and buy from the merchant there. There's also an ammo belt (2000 items) if you're willing to enter the dungeon itself, although that's quite dangerous for low-level characters.
    There are two bags of holding available in the SoA campaign, each with a 100-item capacity. The first is from Hexxat - do her first quest at the Tomb of Dragomir for it. The second is found in Spellhold, during chapter 4.
    Then when ToB rolls around, you get more. More scroll cases, gem bags, and potion cases. A 2000-item bag of holding. It's quite practical at that point to just pick up everything and sell it off in large batches.

On "items that don't have an immediately apparent use or that seem to be a part of something"... most of what you find in Irenicus' dungeon is used there. There are two exceptions - the acorns, which are for a minor side quest in one of the areas you can travel to when you get out, and the pommel gem, which is part of an item you can't put together until chapter 6.

Thanks for the additional info
    iosfrustration