Skip to content

[Spoilers] Black Pits final battle and beholder

AzamathAzamath Member Posts: 18
First about beholder.
Isn't there supposed to be a fight with beholder? Conversation with him seems to mean so.
Instead after 14th battle (with fire elementals) there is only Baeloth fight.

Second: final battle. ( I've found one solution on my own eventually but it would be very strange if its the only one).

I reached final battle in Black Pits. I'm fighting Baeloth. I don't have much problems with Baeloth but i can't find a way to hurt rakshasa Elan Garaq who is helping him.
From what i know rakshasas are immune to spells below level 8 and my maximum spell level is 5. I was trying "Lower Resistance" but it seems to not work at all.
From what could see the best weapon available in shops is one with bonus +2 and it doesnt work on rakshasa.
I made weapon +3 with spell Enchanted Weapon but it doesn't work either.

Lucky me i have priest of Helm in my party and he has speciall spell Seeking Sword that makes sword +4. This eventually worked and killed rakshasa.

I think it can't be the only solution so please tell me how you managed to kill rakshasa.

Comments

• gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    +2 weapons suffice, at least my bastard sword +2 killed him.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    When I played in the beta my +3 weapons had no problem killing him.

As for the Beholder, I think he doesn't appear if you kill Baeloth first.
  • AzamathAzamath Member Posts: 18
    geselle said:

+2 weapons suffice, at least my bastard sword +2 killed him.

I tried this and it seems that bastard sword, katana and long sword, scimitar or two handed sword +2 or better can hurt him.
    So i would understand he is immune to any damage except slashing. But it's not true!
    In the first place my half orc berserker was using two +2 axes and after 5 minutes of fight rakshasa was still untouched.
    So he can be hurt by any slashing weapon +2 except axes... For me it's a bug. Tell me if you think the same way or i'm missing something.
  • xxxsmb1987xxxxxxsmb1987xxx Member Posts: 280
    I never fought the beholder but I went for Baeloth as soon as the fight started I wanted him dead asap I hate wizards, I had +2 weapons and had no trouble with the other 2.
  • FoerthanFoerthan Member Posts: 23
    Hmm, I've played through the Black Pits twice (once full party, once F/M/C solo) and didn't have issues killing the Rakshasa either time.

The beholder will only be summoned if you kill Baeloth's other helpers (the rakshasa and the dwarf) before you take him out. Once Baeloth is defeated, if you hang around, the dwarf who sells you scrolls (and says that Baeloth must fall by his hand) will teleport in and attack you. If you continue to stick around after that, you'll be trapped in the arena while sets of ~4 duerger spawn continuously until you die or just get tired of fighting them.
  • CragspyderCragspyder Member Posts: 28
    I am not sure the +2 Axe (Battle Axe of Maulutar) is working properly. My Dwarf Warrior has also specced in axes but cannot hurt the rakshasa or the Fire Elementals in the map before that. It simply says the the Weapon is ineffective, however my Cleric/Ranger dual wielding +2 Maces has no problem.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Some of the weapons don't have their enhancement bonus implemented properly.
  • AzamathAzamath Member Posts: 18
    The Fire Elementals were another problem. I could hurt them only with spells. But i wasnt trying +2 weapons other then axes.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862

Some of the weapons don't have their enhancement bonus implemented properly.

This is true.

But, the katana+2 and the staff+2 are hurting the same enemies. Both has magic level set.
  • HannarrHannarr Member Posts: 20
    edited December 2012
    I'm using +2 maces, 2h sword, katana, qstaff... still can't hit him. tried removing protections from him as well. hes also immune to spells. i can't touch him.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    edited December 2012
    +2 hammer doesn't work too. I don't know how I killed him in the end. Maybe using some area effect spells like cloudkill... but it wasn't really a problem. Try melf's minute meteors. They can hit everybody. (haven't tested with this guy though.)
  • ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    Just came to report this! Fighting Elan Garaq is impossible. All my characters are equipped with +2 weapons; Mace, Warhammer, Two-Handed Sword, Axe, Short Sword. Ranged guys are using +1 Sling and Crossbow.

Only thing that connected and rarely did any damage was my sorcerer with his +1 sling and sunstone bullets. Nothing else worked. Just kept returning with 'Weapon Ineffective'.

Exact same thing with Fire Giant and Fire Elementals in round 14. Had to Ice Storm them and my party to death......

fail.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    edited December 2012
    I took out everyone but Elan Garaq, and I couldn't hit him with a +2 shortbow, +2 halbred, +2 axes, +2 mace, +2 war hammer, +2 two handed sword

I found this cool weapon called ctrl-Y and it got the job done though

Edit:
    I do not think using ctrl-Y is an actual solution to this problem.
    Nor do I think ctrl-Y is actually a weapon.
    Nor is this post a complaint, I just wanted to let the devs know I had this problem as well and give all the weapons it happened to me with.

You really wouldn't think I would need to clarify that, but that's life.
    Post edited by moopy on
  • Lord_ShAdELord_ShAdE Member Posts: 7
    you gotta kill the 2 shopkeepers without injuring the main guy ... then he will summon a beholder that will 2-3 shot kill everyone none stop casting
  • Lord_ShAdELord_ShAdE Member Posts: 7
    iv killed everything in pits multiple times but the beholder is on a whole nother lvl of difficulty
  • lionwarriorkinglionwarriorking Member Posts: 28
    Can someone clarify exactly what kills this guy?
  • DarKelPDarKelP Member Posts: 183
    edited January 2013
    Melf's Minute Meteors (Level 3 wizard spell) works perfect (weapon +5, 5 attacks per round)
  • LennisLennis Member Posts: 34
    My own experience is that the +2 scimitar hurts Elan Garaq, but the +2 warhammer does not.

The beholder was annoying, mostly because he dire charmed my best fighter. Everyone else was making their saves against him. And once I directed my attacks against the beholder, he went down fast. Granted, it helps if all of your melee characters are wearing boots of the cheetah so their haste can't get dispelled.
  • anonymonyanonymony Member Posts: 6
    Here's how I did it.
    Before the fight, I gave my 9th lvl sun monk the girdle of storm giant strength and Boots of the Jaguar. This way, he rushed wherever he was needed and delivered a poundng. He kept the traitor busy. I left the Rak alone since he hinted that he might betray B (he didn't, but his actions were very limited, so I paid him no attention until the other two were gone).

I bought my two axe-wielding 9th level half-orc (19STR axe masteried and two-weapon maxed) fighter, HulkChop, a pair of boots of phasing. Good thing I did since B phased...and Hulkchop phased right to him. I had my 9th lvl gnome illusionist fight magic missle after magic missle, mostly to disrupt B's casting.

My 9th lvl cleric summoned a pack of dogs, a skeleton warrior, and two panthers. The animals eventually got killed, but they were cannon fodder anyway. Then my cleric went around healing everyone.

HulkChop phased over to the Rak eventually and attacked him automatically. My Monk, Kain, joined him, as well as my paladin, Tank Sallot.

My ranger, Ranger Rick, took shots with his +2 Compound longbow at any target of opportunity. 3 against 6 plus two black panthers, plus a skeleton warrior, plus a pack of dogs...not much of a fight at all since I buffed up before fighting and all those who could wear them had the helms that provide 20% protection.

So, anyway, I beat them all. The djinn showed up and all the pomp of goodbyes were said, then I talked to him again and the game ended much like the original "Eye of the Beholder"...that is to say, it showed me jumping into a portal then went back to the opening menu. (EoB for those too young to know, was one of the first FPS games but after you defeat the beholder at the end, it dumped you to the C:\. Yes, back int he DOS days. It was a major disappointment and earned an eternal award for WORST ENDING OF A VIDEO GAME EVER.)

So, I reloaded the auto save that put me back in the arena, but this time the djinn said goodbye and the grey dwarves came out in waves...4 at a time...and it is auto running right now as I write this.
  • anonymonyanonymony Member Posts: 6
    I think maybe I shoudl have brought rings of regeneration.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182
    I too found the Fire Giant encounter tougher than the Baeloth finale. I quickly dispatched that hateful overgrown cat, before the traitor midget, who soon followed Mr. Whiskers to the grave. The Beholder went down very quickly, laughably so. Compare that to the Fire Giant who constantly stunned our party, to then hit us for massive damage, all the while with those pesky Fire Elementals who only take damage from the correct tools running around. That was the battle I replayed the most. The Baeloth encounter was over after the second attempt. I replayed it a third time so not to kill Baeloth too quickly and thus miss the Beholder battle.