Skip to content

Removing the premade characters

Hi,

This isn't an important question but I'd like to ask it anyway: how can you remove the premade characters when you want to start a new game? 'cause I don't care aout them at all and deleting them wouldn't cause me worries in the end :p . I've looked for some CHR files in the installation directory but found nothing :(

Any idea about how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    You could probably just not recruit them. None of the new NPCs force you to travel with them.

As for removing, them, I don't know how you'd go about it. There's a fair few other NPCs I could do without, though, so let me know if you find out how to do it. :)
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I think what he means is those Abdel, Halan and whatever guys that take up most of the space when you start a new Baldurs Gate or Black Pits game. I don't understand why they made the decision to have "Create your own Character" at the very bottom of that list. At first glance and for the inexperienced gamer, it may look as though there were only prefabs to play.
  • KerthalKerthal Member Posts: 68
    edited November 2012
    I don't think I've explained myself correctly ^^ I was talking about the characters that are listed when you start a new game. At the bottom of the list you can create your own character but before that there's Abdel, Halen, Adelia etc... Those are the characters I want to remove from the list so only my own premade characters appear :)
  • TalonfireTalonfire Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2012
    Each of the characters on that screen are one of the characters you can import when creating a new character, Abdel for example is 01FIGHT, so just export the character you want to display on that screen and overwrite 01FIGHT, 01THIEF or 01MAGE.
    Talonfire said:

Each of the characters on that screen are one of the characters you can import when creating a new character, Abdel for example is 01FIGHT, so just export the character you want to display on that screen and overwrite 01FIGHT, 01THIEF or 01MAGE.

Yeah, that would be a first step to remove those "strangers" ^^
    edited November 2012
    Just for reference, if for some reason you ever want the original characters back you can go to Documents/Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition/Characters and just delete the replacement export files.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I don't understand how 'export' will do anything. I want to delete them, too, as I prefer to make my character.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

I think what he means is those Abdel, Halan and whatever guys that take up most of the space when you start a new Baldurs Gate or Black Pits game. I don't understand why they made the decision to have "Create your own Character" at the very bottom of that list. At first glance and for the inexperienced gamer, it may look as though there were only prefabs to play.

Oh. Fool, me!

I don't understand how 'export' will do anything. I want to delete them, too, as I prefer to make my character.

What he meant is when you export your own character, just overwrite the file 01FIGHT for example. After that, your own character will be displayed instead of the premade one.

Unless you're a modder who knows where the official character files are stored you can't delete them (assuming that you can delete them at all). All you can do is either overwrite them, or begin all of your export file names with 00 so that they are displayed before Abdel.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Want to delete them! I did not roll, re-roll and obsess over them. LOL
  • ZarathustraZarathustra Member Posts: 25
    edited December 2012
    C:\Users\Your user name\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\characters, only work for your own wtf?
    + it can quickly become problematic as you can only seem to be able to access 4 of export char at a time when starting a new game(cant scroll down any lower).

At least for now i just want 4 (2 for a good runthrough and 2 for my evil one(so they'll meet in that blackpit standalone))

-Endure, in enduring grow strong.
    Post edited by Zarathustra on
  • ZarathustraZarathustra Member Posts: 25
    edited December 2012
    Talonfire said:

Unless you're a modder who knows where the official character files are stored you can't delete them (assuming that you can delete them at all). All you can do is either overwrite them, or begin all of your export file names with 00 so that they are displayed before Abdel.

At least we can overwrite them i guess. Thank for the info.

edit: scratch that I've just tried it and it doesn't work.

-Endure, in enduring grow strong.