Skip to content

Death Revival on Normal Setting

I'm playing the game on normal setting where the description clearly states 'characters don't permanently die'.

Two of my companions died during the encounter with the mage at the entrance to the Friendly Arm Inn, indicated by greyed out icons, but there bodies are nowhere to be seen. How can I get them back, and how do I revive them?

Comments

• AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    You don't need to pickup the bodies. You just need to go to a temple (There's the temple of wisdom right next) and ask to revive the companion. The cost of the revival depends on the level of the dead character.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    edited November 2012
    You can go to a temple and have them raised for a fee, you don't necessarily need their bodies. But its a good idea to pick up what they dropped so you can put it back on them.

If you play on harder difficulties, characters can be permanently killed if they take too much damage when they're at low health.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Flashburn said:

If you play on harder difficulties, characters can be permanently killed if they take too much damage when they're at low health.

Which means their portrait goes away for good, and you have no possibility to revive them.
  • mibblesmibbles Member Posts: 31
    Pretty neat idea for a mod, though; dead party members have to be carried to the Temple. :)
  • LeematonLeematon Member Posts: 33
    I've gone to the Temple of Wisdom but when I speak to the priest there doesn't appear to be any option to revive companions. There only appears to be 'raise dead' scrolls available from the store which I can't obtain anyway 'cos they have a red background. Furthermore, my dead companions don't appear to have dropped any items. :(
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    You have to look on their spell menu... it has cure light wounds, remove curse, ETC... scroll to the bottom, the last option or close to last will be raise dead or some wording like that. Buy that while your dead characters portrait is selected..
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    I've often wondered why characters get permanently killed when they go below -10 under Core (or higher) rules. That was never in the AD&D manuals.

It seems to be a perversion of the optional Death's Door rules. Basically under the Death's Door rules, instead of dying at 0hp, you fell unconscious and lost 1hp/round until stabilised. You only actually died once you reached -10hp.

But provided you didn't get disintegrated, burned to ashes, or put in a blender you could still be raised from the dead, no matter how far below zero you went.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    karnor00 said:

I've often wondered why characters get permanently killed when they go below -10 under Core (or higher) rules. That was never in the AD&D manuals.

It seems to be a perversion of the optional Death's Door rules. Basically under the Death's Door rules, instead of dying at 0hp, you fell unconscious and lost 1hp/round until stabilised. You only actually died once you reached -10hp.

But provided you didn't get disintegrated, burned to ashes, or put in a blender you could still be raised from the dead, no matter how far below zero you went.

Really?
    I thought it was in the manuals.
    I played PnP for a number of years, at first 2.5E, later, and for the longest, 3.5E.

We played those rules.
    When you reached 0 HP, you went unconscious, and 10 HP meant death.

Not saying its in the official rules, I just thought it was..

Maybe it's a 3.5E rule?
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Our old AD&D house rule was that you could go to a minus number before dying. the minus figure was half your constitution score rounded down (so 18 CON could get to -9, 8 CON could go to -4 etc).
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    @degado
    Now you mentions that, we can't have played with 10HP as a set in stone number, because there's a huge difference if you're low level or high level and the encounters you have.
    It's been so long, but I'll bet some system similar to you was used.