Skip to content

Save game corruption - mod for archive of autosaves?

Hi,

I'm playing through the BG trilogy for the first time in a very, very, VERY long time. I've gone through a large portion of BG2's side quests, but I think I booboo-ed up by not making any manual saves and just relying on the game, forgetting how badly the save games can be corrupted.

I just went to windspear hills, and my game crashed as I was leaving the cottage down the bottom. On logging in, I walked around the area and killed some stuff, and I have a silly habit of spamming quick save as I go. Then I realised I had been given the letter from the guy twice, and that the dungeon is not unlocked. Then, looking further, I now notice that the entire map has been undiscovered and my game has reset to the start of chapter 2 progress functionally. Searching around it's not an uncommon bug, and it wouldn't be a problem except that the cottage triggered an autosave and my saves are all after the bug, as far as I can see (I hadn't yet triggered chapter 3, I was clearing everything else first).

I'm assuming I'm just basically done with no way to rescue that game? Without an older game to roll back to I just dont see how I can fix it.

That said; if I am going to start again I want to find a mod that will archive the auto saves (ie: not overwrite previous autosaves, or atleast keep a large number of them). I looked into the personalised autosaves but that only protects from overwriting other character saves; is there a way to serialise auto saves on a specific character as well?

The option is to manually save a lot but I am likely to forget and frankly don't really want to have to do that if a mod exists to perform the function. Thanks!