Skip to content

What to do when enemies use Time Stop and have all sorts of buffs on themselves?

I have an item that makes the wearer immune to Time Stop, so I’m thinking about how to use it to interrupt the enemies’ spell casting during that time.

Often they have both Protection from Magical Weapons and Stoneskin on them, so magical weapons are not effective (I’m thinking of Carsomyr and Staff of the Magi), and normal weapons are not fast enough to take down Stoneskin (from the spell’s description, it’d take 10 hits before Stoneskin cast by a level 20 mage can be brought down). Projectiles of any kind are of course out of the question because of Time Stop, so maybe some spells with touch range I haven’t thought of? Or are there any other options?

Also IIRC sometimes the weapons’ magical effects still get through and deal some damage, but still casting is not interrupted. It’s a bit strange and I can’t explain this.

Comments

• DragonwizardDragonwizard Member Posts: 22
    Poison weapon ability from Blackguard/Assassin should work wonders in such a case, as the poison gets through stoneskin.
    I am not sure if the elemental damage of e.g. FoA will get through stoneskin if the mage is protected from magical weapons, if so that could help as well
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Poison weapon ability from Blackguard/Assassin should work wonders in such a case, as the poison gets through stoneskin.
    I am not sure if the elemental damage of e.g. FoA will get through stoneskin if the mage is protected from magical weapons, if so that could help as well

if a mage is protected by PFMW then the elemental damage will not go through, but if the said mage is not protected by PFMW then the elemental damage will definitely go through the stoneskins

and actually there can be some benefit to this;
    if its just a standard mage who isn't normally immune to normal weapons, if they cast PFMW on themselves, bust out a normal weapon and do a whirlwind or two to get pass that stoneskin, and if you are fast enough you could probably start interrupting at least their second spell they cast in that timestop which is better than nothing
  • MrBaquanMrBaquan Member Posts: 42
    edited April 2021
    The crossbow from outside Watcher's Keep apparently bypasses PfMW and still deals its fire damage if you shoot nonmagical bolts from it. Though I guess that doesn't work in time stop. derp.