Skip to content

Open source RPGs: Are they compatible with the OGL?

m7600m7600 Member Posts: 318
So here's something I've been reading about, on which I'm not entirely sure. Let's say that you're making a free/libre, open-source computer RPG. Can you legally use the Open Game License for that? I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know anything about this. I've read this official document but it's still not clear to me what you can and cannot do.

For example, look at this excerpt from the previous document:
"Interactive Game": means a piece of software that is designed to accept inputs from human players or their agents, and use rules to resolve the success or failure of those inputs, and return some indication of the results of those inputs to the users.

This includes the obvious examples of attacking in combat, saving throws, and skill checks, but also includes dice rolling for character ability scores and hit points and rolling for damage. Why? Because in the d20 System a higher number is almost always better. Rolling an 18 for strength is obviously a preferable outcome to rolling a 3. In any circumstance where one outcome is quantifiably better than another is considered by Wizards to be an indication of success or failure; the software cannot perform these kinds of operations without breaching the license.

And at the end, it says something similar:
To conclude, here is a quick checklist of things to do when using the licenses with software:

1 - Decide if you are going to use the d20 System License (allows you to claim compatibility with D&D and to use the d20 Logo). If you use the d20 License remember what you can't do (describe the process for creating a character, meet the definition of an interactive game, etc.)

What does this even mean? Am I or am I not allowed to roll for Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, etc., in my indie video game?

I'm asking this question here because I'm sure that other members of this forum know this better than me. Maybe someone from Beamdog could speak from experience as well, since they worked with D&D licenses.

TL;DR: Can I use the Open Game License in my open-source video game?