Skip to content

Being attacked by cowled wizards for no reason?

DGDKamiDGDKami Member Posts: 34
Ok so right now Jaheira has been cursed and im doing the quest to free her from it, but as i go to the Goverment district i get attacked by the cowled wizards for no reason whatsoever (i havent used any magic on the city), any way to fix this?

Comments

• DGDKamiDGDKami Member Posts: 34
    The issue seems to have fixed itself after i did a few quests i had pending, what a weird glitch
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,316
    Is it possible you've used arcane spells in the city without realizing it? One way you can easily do that for instance is to make use of the ring of air control (which casts improved invisibility).
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    You can go to the government district to resolve issues with the cowled wizards.

Or you simply kill them all
    DGDKami wrote: »
    The issue seems to have fixed itself after i did a few quests i had pending, what a weird glitch

There are a number of groups that will attack you - but each group only appears after you cast a spell. Hence it is likely that more groups will appear if you cast arcane spells in future (unless you buy a license to allow you to cast spells freely).
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    in total there are 6 cowled wizard groups, the first 5 groups will tell you that you have been warned and will be hostile

on group number 6 they finally have had enough of your spell casting shenanigans and bring out the elite members

after you finish off group 6, they will never ever bother you again

so why pay 5000 gold in the government district to not make them come when you can just take them out for sweet spoils and XP, win/win for everyone, well maybe not for the cowled wizards but hey, thats what they get heh :)
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    so why pay 5000 gold in the government district to not make them come when you can just take them out for sweet spoils and XP, win/win for everyone, well maybe not for the cowled wizards but hey, thats what they get heh :)

Because my Mage Bhaalspawn is Lawful, duh. ;)
    Zaxares wrote: »
    sarevok57 wrote: »

Because my Mage Bhaalspawn is Lawful, duh. ;)

Which might be expected to make him even more angry at a group which extorts money with menaces rather than applying a proper legal process ...
    Grond0 wrote: »
    Is it possible you've used arcane spells in the city without realizing it? One way you can easily do that for instance is to make use of the ring of air control (which casts improved invisibility).

I am positive i did not use any spells, it was 100% a glitch because when i went back to the Goverment building, a cowled wizard appeared as before, but instead of attacking it just banished.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Just to confirm, what was your reputation score?
    Pokota wrote: »
    Just to confirm, what was your reputation score?

edited April 2021
    DGDKami wrote: »

I am positive i did not use any spells, it was 100% a glitch because when i went back to the Goverment building, a cowled wizard appeared as before, but instead of attacking it just banished.

Creatures summoned by the game normally have a time limit and, at the end of that, they disappear. However, it's standard behavior that you only see them disappear when you're in the same area. Hence, if you use an area transition to return to an area where summons are out of time, you will see the summons momentarily before the game deletes them. That behavior sounds like what you are describing.

If you want to test whether the Cowled Wizards were responding to the use of a spell you could just cast an arcane spell. The game allows you to do this once without retribution - instead a single Cowled Wizard appears and gives you a warning. If the use of a single spell results in a group of them appearing, that indicates that they have recorded earlier use of spells.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    In a bit more detail - that same first wizard comes all seven times and talks to you. The first time, he issues a warning. The next five times, he summons three more enforcers to punish you. The last time, he summons three particularly powerful wizards, one of which is named.
    It's always one wizard initially appearing; the dialogue is what triggers more of them.

If you want to test whether the Cowled Wizards were responding to the use of a spell you could just cast an arcane spell. The game allows you to do this once without retribution - instead a single Cowled Wizard appears and gives you a warning. If the use of a single spell results in a group of them appearing, that indicates that they have recorded earlier use of spells.

I already used a spell once in the city by mistake, since then i haven't used it once. Those cowled wizards only appeared when i traveled to the goverment district and nowhere else.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Was that your first visit to the Government District?
    Was that your first visit to the Government District since getting warned for casting Arcane in public?
    edited April 2021
    Pokota wrote: »
    Was that your first visit to the Government District?
    Was that your first visit to the Government District since getting warned for casting Arcane in public?

No and no. This is how it happened.

- I went to the goverment district a few times to complete some other quests, no issue
    - Jaheira gets cursed by this dude in the bridge inn
    - Went to the slums to continue the quest
    - Then go to the goverment district and get attacked as soon as i enter (no time to cast anything since this happens right away)
    - If i tried to cast any magic during the ensuing fight, another group of mages spawn again (with dialog and everything), so this makes me thing that the first group is glitched
    - Check other districts to see if the same thing happens, no issues
    - Kept tryng to go to the goverment district multiple times and it keeps happening
    - Then changed strategies and decided to do some other stuff, i went to explore the sewers for a bit
    - Go back to the Goverment district, mage spawns but dissapears inmediatly

Thats pretty much it