Skip to content

Import soundsets from BG2 classic to BG1EE

wavingbugwavingbug Member Posts: 59
Hello

I want to import the soundsets from BG2 Classic to BG1EE. I know where the sounds need to go and also what the suffixes a-s (or whatever) mean. Unfortunately there are no selection sounds though. Attack sounds and other stuff works properly. What I noticed is that the suffixes differ from BG1EE and BG2 Classic. For instance in BG2 Classic there are files "Female1_.wav" (so with an underscore suffix), also x, y, z is used. These are not used in BG1EE. So I just did not use those files, but it seems the rest is still somehow incompatible (meaning you can't just copy them over) or I did something wrong. How can I do that and map them correctly?

Thanks for your time

PS: Or is there a place where I can download compatible BG2 soundsets? I did not find anything on the web. Just a lot of custom soundsets or soundsets from other IE games to import to BG1/2 but not the other way around.

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    for BG1 it goes as follows;

0 INITIAL_MEETING
    1 MORALE
    2 HAPPY
    3 UNHAPPY_ANNOYED
    4 UNHAPPY_SERIOUS
    5 UNHAPPY_BREAKING_POINT
    6 LEADER
    7 TIRED
    8 BORED
    9 BATTLE_CRY1
    10 BATTLE_CRY2
    11 BATTLE_CRY3
    12 BATTLE_CRY4
    13 BATTLE_CRY5
    14 ATTACK1
    15 ATTACK2
    16 ATTACK3
    17 ATTACK4
    18 DAMAGE
    19 DYING
    20 HURT
    21 AREA_FOREST
    22 AREA_CITY
    23 AREA_DUNGEON
    24 AREA_DAY
    25 AREA_NIGHT
    26 SELECT_COMMON1
    27 SELECT_COMMON2
    28 SELECT_COMMON3
    29 SELECT_COMMON4
    30 SELECT_COMMON5
    31 SELECT_COMMON6
    32 SELECT_ACTION1
    33 SELECT_ACTION2
    34 SELECT_ACTION3
    35 SELECT_ACTION4
    36 SELECT_ACTION5
    37 SELECT_ACTION6
    38 SELECT_ACTION7
    39 INTERACTION1
    40 INTERACTION2
    41 INTERACTION3
    42 INTERACTION4
    43 INTERACTION5
    44 INSULT1
    45 INSULT2
    46 INSULT3
    47 COMPLIMENT1
    48 COMPLIMENT2
    49 COMPLIMENT3
    50 SPECIAL1
    51 SPECIAL2
    52 SPECIAL3
    53 REACT_TO_DIE_GENERAL
    54 REACT_TO_DIE_SPECIFIC
    55 MISCELLANEOUS
    55 RESPONSE_TO_COMPLIMENT1
    56 RESPONSE_TO_COMPLIMENT2
    57 RESPONSE_TO_COMPLIMENT3
    58 RESPONSE_TO_INSULT1
    59 RESPONSE_TO_INSULT2
    60 RESPONSE_TO_INSULT3
    61 DIALOG_HOSTILE
    62 DIALOG_DEFAULT
    63 SELECT_RARE1
    64 SELECT_RARE2
    65 CRITICAL_HIT
    66 CRITICAL_MISS
    67 TARGET_IMMUNE
    68 INVENTORY_FULL
    69 PICKED_POCKET
    70 EXISTANCE1
    70 HIDDEN_IN_SHADOWS
    71 EXISTANCE2
    71 SPELL_DISRUPTED
    72 EXISTANCE3
    72 SET_A_TRAP

then you much those numbers with the following letters;

0 *
    1 *
    2 *
    3 *
    4 *
    5 *
    6 b
    7 c
    8 d
    9 a
    10 8
    11 9
    12 *
    13 *
    14 *
    15 *
    16 *
    17 *
    18 !l
    19 !m
    20 e
    21 n
    22 o
    23 p
    24 q
    25 r
    26 f
    27 g
    28 h
    29 0
    30 *
    31 *
    32 i
    33 j
    34 k
    35 s
    36 t
    37 u
    38 v
    39 _
    40 *
    41 *
    42 *
    43 *
    44 *
    45 *
    46 *
    47 *
    48 *
    49 *
    50 *
    51 *
    52 *
    53 w
    54 *
    55 *
    56 *
    57 *
    58 *
    59 *
    60 *
    61 *
    62 *
    63 x
    64 y
    65 z
    66 1
    67 2
    68 3
    69 4
    70 5
    71 6
    72 7

so for example;

in the sound set we see that the number 6 represents the dialogue for when a character becomes a leader of the party which means that whatever you call your sounds file ( aka lets say; CUSTOM1 ) you like at the second list and see that there is a "b" so you would make your sound file called; CUSTOM1b

then we see the line for tired which is number 7, so then when you look at the second list 7 corresponds with a "c" so then to make that file you would call it; CUSTOM1c

also to note; If i'm not mistaken your default sound file cannot contain more than 7 or 8 letters, or else the engine will not recognize any of your sounds, so if your custom sound file was called; AWESOMECHAR and then you put all the a,b,c,d... 1,2,3... after all of those it wouldn't matter because it's too big for the game to recognize, so if you can try and keep your custom sound name to 5-6 characters so then the game is sure to pick up the sound files

ALSO

with that being said, if again if im not mistaken there is still some bugs in the works when it comes to custom sounds, i believe at this moment, character selection sounds refuse to work, but everything else should be good to go
  • wavingbugwavingbug Member Posts: 59
    edited April 2021
    Thank you, that is really helpful. It differs from the note that is contained within the sounds directory where only letters are explained, but the numbers are not mentioned at all.
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    with that being said, if again if im not mistaken there is still some bugs in the works when it comes to custom sounds, i believe at this moment, character selection sounds refuse to work, but everything else should be good to go

Now that is weird. To my understanding the default sounds should use the exact same system as custom ones. So if the default ones work, custom ones should work too, if they follow the same pattern. At least that should be the goal when implementing such a system and it worked that way back with the original games. Even weirder that it seems to be a problem for a long time. I wonder what kind of spaghetti code is involved in this jk :p

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    wavingbug wrote: »
    Thank you, that is really helpful. It differs from the note that is contained within the sounds directory where only letters are explained, but the numbers are not mentioned at all.
    sarevok57 wrote: »

Now that is weird. To my understanding the default sounds should use the exact same system as custom ones. So if the default ones work, custom ones should work too, if they follow the same pattern. At least that should be the goal when implementing such a system and it worked that way back with the original games. Even weirder that it seems to be a problem for a long time. I wonder what kind of spaghetti code is involved in this jk :p

i agree, i recall that everything worked perfectly fine in the earlier versions of the EEs but i believe ever since 2.0+ custom sound sets have been having troubles with the EEs for whatever reason