Skip to content

Is it normal that my Paladin levels up so slowly?

OK so idk if this is normal, but my MC (Cavalier) takes ages to lvl up, the same as Minsc. ON the other Hand, Aeerie, Yoshimo and Jaheira lvl up fairly quickly, same as Nalia. RIght now Jaheira leveled up for the second time before my MC leveled up even once.

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Different classes gain levels at different intervals. Paladins (and rangers) require the most XP to gain levels in general. You might want to have a look at the Adventurer's Guide, which includes tables showing how different classes progress. You can download that for free from https://www.siegeofdragonspear.com/
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    Also, Jaheira is a multiclass, she gains levels for fighter and druid, and that doesn't happen at the same time (unless, by coincidence, you get so many XP at once that you hit both thresholds, just saying fighter and druid have different level progression), that's why she sometimes seems to gain two levels in very quick succession.
  • DGDKamiDGDKami Member Posts: 34
    Arvia wrote: »
    Also, Jaheira is a multiclass, she gains levels for fighter and druid, and that doesn't happen at the same time (unless, by coincidence, you get so many XP at once that you hit both thresholds, just saying fighter and druid have different level progression), that's why she sometimes seems to gain two levels in very quick succession.

Oh i thought the original class no longer gained any experience, thanks everyone
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Humans, like Anomen or Nalia, can dual-class. This is a choice made during gameplay, or in the case of some NPCs a choice made before you met them. All experience goes to the second class, and only that class advances further. The first class is fixed at the level it was when they chose to dual.

Non-humans, like Aerie or Jaheira, can multi-class. This is a choice made at character creation. The experience they earn is split evenly between both classes, and both advance indefinitely.
    Arvia wrote: »
    (unless, by coincidence, you get so many XP at once that you hit both thresholds, just saying fighter and druid have different level progression), that's why she sometimes seems to gain two levels in very quick succession.
    Or both of those progressions hit a level at exactly the same time. Fighter 2/Druid 2, Fighter 3/Druid 3, Fighter 8/Druid 10, Fighter 11/Druid 13, Fighter 14/Druid 14, Fighter 20/Druid 15, Fighter 23/Druid 20. It really happens quite often.
    jmerry wrote: »
    Humans, like Anomen or Nalia, can dual-class. This is a choice made during gameplay, or in the case of some NPCs a choice made before you met them. All experience goes to the second class, and only that class advances further. The first class is fixed at the level it was when they chose to dual.

Non-humans, like Aerie or Jaheira, can multi-class. This is a choice made at character creation. The experience they earn is split evenly between both classes, and both advance indefinitely.

It sucks because Nalia is now fixed at thief lvl 4 and i need a thief for traps but don't want to run a dedicated one.

Anyway thanks for the explanation.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    I'm currently running a party in which Nalia is the sole thief. Her low skills are inconvenient, but there are items that can compensate:
    - Ring of Lockpicks (+25 Open Locks, found in the Thieves' Guild in the chapter 3 plot)
    - Ring of Danger Sense (+25 Find Traps, found in the Planar Sphere)
    - Amulet of the Master Harper (+20 Open Locks and +20 Find Traps, found in Yaga-Shura's base in ToB)
    - Potion of Master Thievery (+40 Open Locks for three hours)
    - Potion of Perception (+20 Open Locks and +20 Find Traps for six hours)
    - Potion of Mind Focusing (Equivalent to +15 Find Traps and +15 Open Locks for twelve hours)

Nalia starts with 60 Open Locks and 80 Find Traps. A score of 99 or better is required to deal with the most difficult traps, so the ring of danger sense or a potion of perception will be enough to handle anything. For locks, you automatically succeed at any lock with difficulty at or below your skill, and have a chance of success if the difficulty is up to 9 more than your skill. 100 points will deal with anything on the first try, or 90 will deal with anything given time - there's no consequence for failure. Or there's the Knock spell; scrolls for that are widely available.

OK, there are a couple spots in ToB where 99 skill isn't good enough. A difficulty 110 trap at the entrance to Sendai's lair, and a difficulty 150 lock in the Saradush jail. You'll have the tools to deal with them by then.

And if you don't want the inconvenience of swapping jewelry and occaionally drinking potions, Nalia isn't the only mage/thief NPC. Jan, found in the government district, is a multiclass illusionist/thief, and he even comes with personal equipment to boost his skills. He starts off with all the skill in Open Locks and Find Traps he'll ever need, and can invest in other skills as he levels up. Or, once you reach chapter 4, you can get Imoen back.
    All right my man, once again thanks for the advice.