Skip to content

There was supposed to be a third expansion for NWN2

PekingduckmanPekingduckman Member Posts: 151
https://twitter.com/Luke_Scull/status/1387862766573195268
Another proud Atari moment: they greenlit a third expansion for NWN2 to be released epidodically. It would've incorporated Halruaa, the Shar, and psionics. I quit my day and moved abroad with my then-partner to commit two years to the project. Last minute, they pulled out.

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited May 2021
    Wasn't Mysteries of Westgate technically a third expansion they just didn't really market in any way (and didn't have a physical release I am aware of)?? People seemed genuinely shocked it was included when the GOG bundle was released because they'd either forgotten about it, or never were aware of it's existence in the first place.
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 331
    Where’s the assets?
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Another proud Atari moment: they greenlit a third expansion for NWN2 to be released epidodically. It would've incorporated Halruaa, the Shar, and psionics. I quit my day and moved abroad with my then-partner to commit two years to the project. Last minute, they pulled out.
    This would've been so awesome. It's exactly what I've long been advocating as a great way to do a D&D game. I so hope at some point Wizards Digital looks into giving Obsidian the green-light for a NwN3.
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    Wasn't Mysteries of Westgate technically a third expansion they just didn't really market in any way (and didn't have a physical release I am aware of)?? People seemed genuinely shocked it was included when the GOG bundle was released because they'd either forgotten about it, or never were aware of it's existence in the first place.
    I think MoW ended up as sort of a consolation prize for the game after the full expansion was canceled. And it was made by Ossian Studios and not Obsidian. You could (at that time) get a physical copy of the game by writing to the studio. They sent me the game on a CD. It was a precursor to what we would consider DLC today.
  • PekingduckmanPekingduckman Member Posts: 151
    edited May 2021

Fun fact, it was placed on hold for nearly two years while Atari tried to work out some DRM scheme. By the time it was released most people moved on from NWN2 and it was cracked within a week. Then a month later Atari removed all DRM from the NWN2 games.

https://twitter.com/Luke_Scull/status/1387861824213852160
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    kanisatha wrote: »
    This would've been so awesome. It's exactly what I've long been advocating as a great way to do a D&D game. I so hope at some point Wizards Digital looks into giving Obsidian the green-light for a NwN3.
    I think MoW ended up as sort of a consolation prize for the game after the full expansion was canceled. And it was made by Ossian Studios and not Obsidian. You could (at that time) get a physical copy of the game by writing to the studio. They sent me the game on a CD. It was a precursor to what we would consider DLC today.

what happened was westgate was meant to come out around the same time as motb. but kept getting delayed due the atari wanting drm for it.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Oh man, I would have LOVED to see Psionics in NWW2. I think to date the Dark Sun games by SSI Interactive are the only D&D games that actually had a working Psionics system built in. There hasn't been any word on whether BG3 has Psionics, has there?

As for DRM, I wince at how many execs have failed to learn their lesson. DRM ultimately never works because they're missing one key revelation about pirates: pirates will NEVER pay for your game under any circumstances. The execs always seem to think that they're missing out on potential revenue from pirated copies, but this is actually not true. If they really can't crack your game (and no game is impossible to crack, because at some point you have to let genuine customers in, and there will always be a way to falsify that. It's just a matter of time), they will simply go play something else. You're ultimately just spending extra money on security for no extra return, and annoying your actual customers who just want to play the game without the hassle.