Skip to content

NWN Explorer?

ZephiriusZephirius Member Posts: 411
edited May 2021 in Builders - Toolset
I'm trying my hand at reskinning models. The last time I did this I was a lot younger and had far less gray hair on my noggin. ;)
Using NWN Explorer, I'm trying to extract the necessary .mdl's, but get as far as receiving the following error message:
"Unable to locate dlg.tlk or chitin.key in the expected location." Then the program self-terminates.

I'm using NWN EE/CEP 1.69 with .tlk 1.60 (the most recent one I believe.)

Help please, :)

Comments

• DazDaz Member Posts: 125
    Make sure you're using the latest version of NWN Explorer: https://github.com/virusman/nwnexplorer/releases/tag/1.8.3
  • ZephiriusZephirius Member Posts: 411
    Yep. No luck. Same error message.
    Better yet, how do you point Explorer to my tlk file? That's what it's looking for and cant find it.
  • ForSeriousForSerious Member Posts: 446
    If I remember right, for the steam version anyway, where the chitin.key file is found, you need to copy it into the folder above it.

I've only used bifunpack, so maybe my comment is irrelevant.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    edited May 2021
    I'm puzzled - why would you want to open the .tlk file if extracting models? The official models live in the .bif files, custom models are in .hak files.

NWNExplorer isn't much help with .tlk - you need TlkEdit for that.

To explore the official EE files with NWNExplorer on Win10, use the big Open button to navigate to

C:\Users\[username]\Beamdog Library\00785\nwn_base.key

or for the Steam version

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Neverwinter Nights\data\nwn_base.key

The big Open button will also open custom files in your Documents.
    I didn't want to open the tlk. Hell I don't even know what it's for, not really. Upon opening explorer it wanted to know the location of the tlk and chitin.key.
    I don't know why but it works now. :)