Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Which DnD source material are HLA based on

As in the topic, which DnD source material are high level abilities based on?
From what I know the game was based on 2ed, however I've never heard about HLAs there.
Any particular book on that?

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,037
    edited June 1
    Nope, HLAs were invented by BioWare, though there were high-level supplements that had some thematically similar ideas.

Post edited by jsaving on
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 872
    There were a high level handbook for rules after level 20: ftp://ftp.warthman.com/pub/users/oceanowl/AD&D/Books/High-Level Campaigns.pdf

But nothing were implemented as intended. Tob was rushed so as hla-s were not designed the best way. I really dont like Tob and i did my last Tob playtrough about 4-5 years ago, but i still play with Soa once per months. Without hla-s. But nobody will modify the base game so everything will remain the same.

Grond0
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,424
    edited June 1
    Yep, very loosely adapted from that 2e high level campaigns book. Quest level spells for priests and true dweomers for mages are from that book too, IIRC. Ofcourse, bg2 hlas are massively overpowered when compared to the rather modest high level abilities in that rule book.

Originally, the hlas have much limited power and drawbacks in some cases. In bg2 you have dragons breath like 20d10 party-friendly, ignore magic resistance blast spell. No sane dm would ever allow that in tabletop play.