Skip to content

The Black Pits

RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
So I managed to get some play last night. Apart from some questions on how well or bad Overhaul has done, I have one question that I really need to get answered.

The Black Pits... Is it JUST a stand alone quest, available only through the game menu, or can I access that from within a playthrough?

It just seems so off to put it outside of the main game, especially since most BG players (that I know of) love the games in part because of the story. A quest only accessible through the main menu has nothing to do with story..

I would be grateful if anyone can clarify this for me.

Thank you very much!
Post edited by Medillen on

Comments

• szbszb Member Posts: 220
    Standalone.
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    Jesus..
  • SublimeBWSublimeBW Member Posts: 42
    Says so right on the page for the adventrure so not sure why it comes as a surprise.

"A stand-alone adventure set deep within the Underdark"
  • szbszb Member Posts: 220
    You could use it a testing ground for character/party builds.
  • XivirielXiviriel Member Posts: 166
    I find that the Black Pits is a great place for new players to test out their party/character build ideas. The super fast progression it provides and easy access to all weapon types makes it an ideal testing ground. Just a tip though, you won't need open locks or set traps at all within this adventure.
    SublimeBW said:

Says so right on the page for the adventrure so not sure why it comes as a surprise.

I figured it would be standalone in the sense that you could play it at any time IN ADDITION to having it as a part of a playthrough. Just seems the most sensible thing to do.
  • CyricistCyricist Member Posts: 61

SublimeBW said:

I figured it would be standalone in the sense that you could play it at any time IN ADDITION to having it as a part of a playthrough. Just seems the most sensible thing to do.
    That was my initial assumption upon first reading about The Black Pits, too. Similar to Watcher's Keep in ToB. Available at any time during SoA or ToB, effectively "standalone" in the sense of how accessible it is.

Of course, these assumptions I made were before it became rather apparent that The Black Pits weren't attached to the main game... which has been readily available information for some time, now.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2012

Jesus..

Is a really cool guy!

----

Also, to sound like a huge douche, your question has been asked about 20 times. Did we really need another thread for this? There is a *very* handy search feature on this forum. I would recommend using it next time when it comes to questions ... it has served me well.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    What I don't understand is what level are you supposed to be to play Black Pits? Is it for a first level party? And do you create all six at first level, like an Icewind Dale game?
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    edited November 2012
    It's incompatible with a normal gameplay... You gain xp way to fast to get a normal shot at the game afterward. That was the reason while it's now a stand alone (at first I guess it was implemented as watcher's keep).

Not my fav part of BGEE but still interesting. :)
  • TrollGrapplerTrollGrappler Member Posts: 11
    In fact, it is juste like a module in Neverwinter Nights games. It looks strange when you discover it, but it can be logical for reasons of background and mechanics.
    Quartz said:

Jesus..

Is a really cool guy!

----

Also, to sound like a huge douche, your question has been asked about 20 times. Did we really need another thread for this? There is a *very* handy search feature on this forum. I would recommend using it next time when it comes to questions ... it has served me well.
    Point taken. My apologies.
  • DeadstarDeadstar Member Posts: 20
    I found the Black Pits to be fairly difficult, in the sense that the encounters per round are not balanced very well. The first two rounds are a piece of cake that any character, even a mage, can solo. The round 3 is exceptionally harder than the first 2 and I have been unable to solo it, even with characters a couple levels higher. I was just wondering why it became so much harder instead of a steady increase in difficulty, which is what would be expected.