Skip to content

VICONIA WEARING PLATE MAIL (Original Saga) BUG ? ? ?

ROLLROLLROLLROLLROLLROLL Member Posts: 21
Hi, :)

I'm playing the game purchased on GOG. Then, used the redeem code to download Original Saga.

After the mines, Chapter 3, heading to Peldvale to recruit VICONIA.
Right after killing the Flaming fist officier, I loot on him the Plate mail + helmet, small shield and sword.

I was quite surprise. VICONIA can wear the PLATE MAIL with absolutely no issue.
On her inventory, the armor look really cool on her. It's not like, some strange skin. And in game, the animation and armor still look as what it should be. Like if it was coded to be this way. I mean, it's not buggy.

I thought she had insufficient strength for that. Plate mail need at least 12, she have 10.

Then, I decided to have a look through the game manual in PDF.

Well, the game doesn't say anything about that. Indeed, according to the manual, there's no reason for her not to be equipped with this armor.

Right clicking on the item, the paperdoll only mention: "Not usable by Bard, Druid, Mage, Thief" / AC:3 / Weight:50

I'm playing version 1.3.5521
No mod.

Someone knows about that ? Armor restriction due to insufficient strength/ weight was made later ?

+
the game manual in PDF, also doesn't mention anything about 18 strength to Composite longbows.
Since you can reach Peldvale easily even at the beginning of the game, I started twice others parties and rushed to her area. Each time: Same thing.

THANKS ALL
Post edited by ROLLROLLROLL on

Comments

• ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    edited June 2021
    I didn't use Viconia way back when I played the old game, but I'm sure there are people around here who still know enough about the original games to answer your question.
    Maybe item use limitations based on stats were introduced later.

If it's not a bug, it's certainly very odd and not practical to use.
    At STR 10 she would have a weight allowance of 70. With a 50 lb plate, 10 lb mace, small shield with 3 and helmet 2lb, that doesn't leave much room for even a few potions.

Have you tried giving her a medium shield? That requires STR 12 too, at least in EE.
    Post edited by Arvia on
  • ROLLROLLROLLROLLROLLROLL Member Posts: 21
    You're completely right.
    This is funny because, at first, after looting the Flaming fist officier, I equipped her before thinking of the plate mail issue. It's only when I decided to go further on the map that a message said "encumbered".
    Then, I looked further on her inventory, and indeed wearing this armor only let her a very few free lbs.

* I was carrying a large shield. So yes, I tried. She can as well.
  • ShadowBlazeShadowBlaze Member Posts: 41
    edited June 2021
    She can equip any armor if her strength is temporarily boosted using spells/potions. It won't be unequipped even if it goes back to 10 once the duration of the boost ends. This is actually one way to equip Full Plate and a Large Shield+1 on her fairly early.

Edit - It seems Full Plate is beyond her carry weight capacity. Ankheg Armor + Large Shield +1 would be better for her.

@ShadowBlaze

I'm not being rude.
    But you're off-topic.
    edited June 2021
    How am I off-topic? She literally can equip plate mail without it being a bug?

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    In the original game, item strength requirements weren't checked. I believe one potential party member (Quayle) even comes with an item equipped that he shouldn't have the strength to use.

In the EE, item strength (and other stat) requirements are checked whenever the character first equips the item and when they level up. I can have the party cleric cast Strength of One occasionally so that Coran can use the +1 composite longbow full-time, for example.
    FenrirWolfgangerGrond0XDarkStrikerXArvia
    @ShadowBlaze
    Honestly, it's not a big deal alright ? But, I'm always impressed by how people are sometimes off the track and just don't get it...
    In your first message: You were only talking about GAME STRATEGY. In others words, potions, spells...How to use items in a good and proper way. You listed armors and shields suitable for Viconia. To reach her best potential.
    *By the way, advices I do not need. I know the game.

I'm talking about GAME MECHANICS.Manual of the game. AD&D. Restrictions due to weight or strength according to the official rules from the original game.

You were talking about:
    > "what could be effective"
    > "what must be suitable"

What I'm asking for is:
    > "what should be"

@jmerry
    By "weren't checked", do you mean that this rule was not incorporate ? Or that the game didn't control if the weight / strength was respected ?

Here: I post 4 pictures from the 1998 game manual. THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NO MENTION ANYWHERE that any particular strength is needed for any particular weapons or armors.
    Strength is having effect on:

-Hit Adj
    -Dam Adj
    -Wt Allow
    -Bashing %

:) In case, I can post a picture of the Plate mail paperdoll ingame, but as I said, no specific STR is needed. It only have some class restriction: Four exactly: in order/ Bard-Druid-Mage-Thief.5za6026xzgkz.png
    wiuusmpfnw24.png
    eovsg6estpmp.png
    432h67spek6k.png
    @ShadowBlaze
    Honestly, it's not a big deal alright ? But, I'm always impressed by how people are sometimes off the track and just don't get it...
    In your first message: You were only talking about GAME STRATEGY. In others words, potions, spells...How to use items in a good and proper way. You listed armors and shields suitable for Viconia. To reach her best potential.
    *By the way, advices I do not need. I know the game.

I'm talking about GAME MECHANICS.Manual of the game. AD&D. Restrictions due to weight or strength according to the official rules from the original game.

You were talking about:
    > "what could be effective"
    > "what must be suitable"

What I'm asking for is:
    > "what should be"

I specifically said this "She can equip any armor if her strength is temporarily boosted using spells/potions. It won't be unequipped even if it goes back to 10 once the duration of the boost ends"

I am not sure why you felt personally attacked to such an extent by an edit of replacing plate mail for ankheg armor. Anyways, good luck to you.
  • ThunderburpThunderburp Member Posts: 51
    edited June 2021
    I have BG1 TotSC 1.3.5521 without mods installed as well. Item files do have a STR requirement but it is not enforced indeed. It doesn't appear in item descriptions either, as you say.

In BG2, BG1:EE and BG2:EE it's enforced, but item descriptions do mention it. So IMO it's as it should be in all games, since that's your question.

Perhaps they ruled that enforcing that D&D rule would not be good for balance in BG1, and purposefully decided to avoid using them. That decision must have occurred early enough in development since neither the manual nor the game seem to talk about it...
    Arvia