Heya Heya Heya Heya Heya Heya Heya Heya Heya Heya Heya Heya !!!
After playing through the first game multiple times with several NPC's, I am planning to play BG1+SoD with a custom party on SCS-Core rules. Trying my best to do with 3 custom and 2 NPC's.
Since it is BG1+SoD only, Monks, Druid/Shaman, Paladins, Sorcerers (ouch) and almost all Dual classing options get zero love from me. My planned party is as follows.
1. "Xull" Half Orc Fighter/Thief.
My protagonist, per se, because this dude could actually truly benefit from DuHM. All tomes except Wis and Int. I think he will put his thief points first into Open locks, Find traps, Detect Illusion in that order. My caster will make him invisible when he has to backstab someone so no MS/HiS. Why Find traps second? Not that many dangerous traps before Chapter 6/Durlag Tower. Pips into Dual Scimitars for that awesome Drizzt gear (and since no importing to BG2, no consequences too). Level-up pips into Darts for some quick and dirty dart of wounding/stunning plays.
2. "Artemis" Half-Elf Ranger/Cleric
All 3 wisdom tomes for her (the only one to benefit from it). Pips into Maces/Fails & Free TWS. Tempted to turn on Druidic book for SoD (too many enemies). Could make her a Dwarf Fighter/Cleric if someone could explain how they would be better in SoD compared to Ironskin/Insect plague.
3. "Ulgrim" Gnome Fighter/Illusionist
The self-buffing and utility caster tank. In terms of BG1+SoD, I believe he is unrivaled and the lack of skull-trap doesn't seem to hurt much. The extra spell slot goes a long way w.r.t to the buffs. Starting pips into Longbows and Longswords. Later pips into TWS.
4. Edwin. Duh. I don't want to rile up something, but I believe he is better than any sorcerer one could create for BG1 (no 5th level spells in BG1 and only 2 in SoD). And he already has the best school and tops that with one more spell a day with his amulet.
6. Kivan/Minsc -> Coran -> Corwin for absolute ranged mayhem. I had no idea how strong ranged was till I looked into the end game kill stats. Coran had 23% of the kills and Corwin had 27% (more trash mobs in SoD I suppose). Mind you I just used regular arrows throughout the game except against those immune to it. I can't imagine how much more it would be if I regularly stocked them up with magical arrows. I don't think I can make a custom ranged character that much stronger than the NPC's.
6. Quest NPC.
How is this composition? Might be slightly on the overkill side, but I just want to experience multiple non-NPC classes in one run, that's all.