Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Trouble with Creating a Custom HakFile to Override Existing Tilesets with Texture Maps

Hello everyone.

I have been working on using ai programs to upscale textures from existing tilesets to make higher res textures and then create texture maps from those, and then put them together into a hak to override textures from the original hak. However, I've gotten stuck. I used Esrgan to upscale the textures Zwerkules medieval city tileset, as he kindly provided a version with uncompiled models, and then I used Materialize to create diffuse, normal, height, metallic, and gloss maps. Then I converted these into DDS files and MTR files with NWN Crunch (Which also converts the gloss and metallic maps to roughness and specular maps), turned them into a Hak file, and then tried importing them into the toolset with the original hak. However, the maps only seem to be applied when I exclude the roughness map and then everything looks very shiny and plastic. I am a noob so I am kind of learning by trial and error here, but I carefully read through the wiki and it seems like roughness maps are supported. I have looked at haks from other custom content creators, like Pstemarie's Dark Ages project, and found that they all exclude roughness maps, but with the prior mentioned project it does not look shiny or plastic.

Any help on how to solve this problem would be much appreciated!

Comments

• TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,121
    edited July 17
    First things first, read this post I made just over a month ago and check the size of the filenames you are generating.

Another thought, your roughness map is greyscale isn't it? Or to put it another way it should only use a single colour channel. To see how many channels each map should have look at this page on the wiki -

Standard material inputs

Another thing, try using TGA files in the first instance. Once you have them working you can always use crunch to convert to DDS.
    I have looked at haks from other custom content creators, like Pstemarie's Dark Ages project, and found that they all exclude roughness maps

You obviously haven't looked at what I have been doing then as I use roughness maps in my 3 "Experiment" projects. For example see Further PBR Tileset Experiments (EE Only). I chose that one because I include full usage instructions on the project page.

TR

Post edited by TarotRedhand on
    Esoterik
  • EsoterikEsoterik Member Posts: 4
    edited July 17
    Ah thank you for the help! I did look at your project (That's where I got the idea to try this) but I didn't think to check out the hak file when troubleshooting. I'm pretty new to this so any help is appreciated! I am noticing that ShaderMap is much easier to use for generating maps.

16 characters feature is turning out to be a problem, so far I've had to exclude all maps for files that originally had 15 or 16 characters. Not sure if there's any workaround for this when working with existing content. Do you think renaming the offending texture files to a shorter filename, and then importing them into the uncompiled models they are used in would work?

edited July 17
    16 characters feature is turning out to be a problem, so far I've had to exclude all maps for files that originally had 15 or 16 characters. Not sure if there's any workaround for this when working with existing content.

Actually quite a simple one. First save the name of the original texture in a text file. Next rename the texture file to 14 characters or less. Generate the maps and the mtr file, then use the saved name to rename the .mtr file. Works just fine. NwN EE matches the name to the one in the .mdl but uses the files specified in the .mtr file.

One other thing with tileset haks. Don't bother trying to create maps for the minimap images. There's no point even if they worked in game the actual images are too small pixel wise to generate meaningful maps.

TR

Esoterik
  • EsoterikEsoterik Member Posts: 4
    Oh thank you! That will save me a lot of trouble!

One other little tip. Because I couldn't find a filename counting program that works with win 10 (there used to be a number of them due to CD writing limitations) to double-check a large number of files, I realised there was one hidden in plain sight. NwHak itself. Just open it as though for a new hak and drag and drop the files you want to check into it. Scanning through the list of files in the "new hak", the ones with too long filenames really stand out. Once finished, just close NwHak and say no to the do you want to save dialogue.

TR