Skip to content

Is it heresy to take Viconia in your party as a paladin?

2»

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Its not as ambiguous or complicated as people like to think. The whole "shades of grey" just helps people feel better about their self justified actions. Of course people can act in different ways, but I reject, "you may have to do something evil to achieve something good" fully and utterly.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Its not as ambiguous or complicated as people like to think. The whole "shades of grey" just helps people feel better about their self justified actions. Of course people can act in different ways, but I reject, "you may have to do something evil to achieve something good" fully and utterly.

You've probably never been confronted by a situation where a decision like that is necessary like the movie/story characters usually are, for dramatic purposes. It does depend on your concept of 'evil' too, I'd guess...
    Balrog99 wrote: »

You've probably never been confronted by a situation where a decision like that is necessary like the movie/story characters usually are, for dramatic purposes. It does depend on your concept of 'evil' too, I'd guess...

If you're stuck in situation where every choice you can think of is evil, then they're probably all evil. Pretending that something you did is okay because you did it, or that you felt other options were worse, doesn't make said action "good".

If you're stuck in situation where every choice you can think of is evil, then they're probably all evil. Pretending that something you did is okay because you did it, or that you felt other options were worse, doesn't make said action "good".

I didn't say it was a 'good' action, but that the outcome could be good. Whether or not it needs to be 'justified' depends on the individual and the circumstances. Soldiers have to deal with this kind of dilemma a lot. I'd guess so do police officers. The general public, not so much.

I didn't say it was a 'good' action, but that the outcome could be good. Whether or not it needs to be 'justified' depends on the individual and the circumstances. Soldiers have to deal with this kind of dilemma a lot. I'd guess so do police officers. The general public, not so much.

Then its not shade of grey, as previously stated. There's a difference between, "This is a difficult choice" and "good and evil aren't distinct."
  • WoebegoneWoebegone Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2021
    I love 2nd edition. Perhaps part of that is nastalgia. I also love 3rd Editions specifically 3.5 which introduced class variants such as the Paladin of Freedom in Unearthed Arcana. This is a Chaotic Good Paladin.....and I love it. It removes much of he alignment restrictions of the so called Lawful-stupid. So.....I imagine my Paladins are playing Paladins of Freedom and go from there roleplay-wise. Really makes some decisions signicantly easier if you wish to roleplay your character.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    In 2e paladins are good over law, so the lawful stupid is very rare amongs them.

https://img.fireden.net/tg/image/1446/25/1446257543638.pdf

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LawfulStupid
    Lawful Stupid is simply what happens when someone doesn't know how to play Paladin.
  • ThunderburpThunderburp Member Posts: 51
    edited August 2021
    I don't know anybody who is totally good [...], especially when put in the unusual situations depicted in most movies/stories...
    I for sure hope that people in your case are an abysmal minority, or that you're talking on a purely abstract level. When a not insignificant proportion of people doesn't have a single 100% benevolent person in their entire life to take inspiration from or be influenced by, it doesn't bode well for the society they collectively make...

Edit: Reminds me of this game, which is about trust rather than benevolence, but is a fun way to invite thinking about the influence we have on each other.
    I don't know anybody who is totally good [...], especially when put in the unusual situations depicted in most movies/stories...
    I for sure hope that people in your case are an abysmal minority, or that you're talking on a purely abstract level. When a not insignificant proportion of people doesn't have a single 100% benevolent person in their entire life to take inspiration from or be influenced by, it doesn't bode well for the society they collectively make...

Edit: Reminds me of this game, which is about trust rather than benevolence, but is a fun way to invite thinking about the influence we have on each other.

No I don't know one person that if you get to know them beyond the superficial are 100% benevolent. Seriously, you know somebody that is Jesus Christ incarnate? More likely you don't want to know any more than you want to believe...