Skip to content

New iMac- saved games disappear

I've done a bit of searching both here and at Steam and it seems this has happened periodically but no solutions seem to be working well so I'm posting here in the hope of getting some decent feedback on how to overcome this.

Basic issue - I had an old iMac and about 100 saved games. Bought a new iMac and uploaded saved games to Google Drive then downloaded to new iMac.

I placed the files in the documents/Neverwinter Nights/saves folder and loaded the game. Instead of 100 + files just 10 or so turned up. These weren't the oldest or newest but a range of saves from 2019 up to early 2021.

I started a module and saved to see if the game was using this pathway for saved files. It was. I checked the Steam alternative path as it was bought from there but there is nothing obvious there at all.

I saw a suggestion on the Vault that a way round it was to basically save a game on new iMac, go to save folder and replace contents with those save files from an old game - ie using the shell of a save complete with original save number (ie. 000221 + name) but with different files inside. Didn't work.

I thought maybe I had too many saves so took all out bar one save and no joy.

I can save anytime I like on new computer and it works fine.

It's just these older saves it refuses to recognise.

The particularly galling thing ( not relevant) is that I'd only recently gone back and got the OC up to the final battle and played Aielund up to the middle of Act 2 so that's be a lot of retracing steps !

I'm still trying to get the toolset working on the new iMac using Crossover and when I do I'll try running one of the modules through it and saving to see if it is recognised but that's not the central problem here.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Unless the contents of saved files have changed I can't see why the game wouldn't just recognise whatever was in the save folder.

Comments

• jimdad55jimdad55 Member Posts: 75
    UPDATE: Now solved. Had to phone Apple Support about an issue with data migration which ended up in me reinstalling the OS. Once done the data migrated perfectly and surprisingly the saved games were all back in the right folder. Only surprising thing for me is that it asked me to install rosetta to open it. I thought NWN ran on Macs natively. Still, all well at the moment.