Skip to content

What are most common ways that players break mods for baldurs gate?

lollerslollers Member Posts: 190
I've cause to believe that mods sometimes break when I use them. Not sure why exactly, if I knew that I wouldn't make the mistakes, and if I had half a clue I would be looking at specific mods. Maybe my use of cheat keys (I may do teleporting with them and CTRL-R if I don't think it will damage anything script-wise). Maybe it's because I use area tranisitions in combat sometimes especially if I'm struggling for time or challenge reasons.

Comments

• EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    How do you define "breaking" mods?
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Ctrl-R breaks timed effects, which definitely affect some mods that rely on timed effects to, say, give a cooldown to abilities rather than a number of use. A proper implementation avoid most of the issues, or, worst case scenario, fix them by resting. But as always, not everything is necessarily properly implemented so some might completely break down. There could be situations where Ctrl+R could break a script (for instance, if a global variable is set by a delayed spell), but this is already an edge case and I can't think of a reason why one would do that. Then again, as always with programming, sometimes modders get creative and it's not always for the best.

Teleporting to other areas can definitely break some scripts though. A very simple case: let's say the area has a door that opens when a certain person on the map dies. One of the triggers that can be used for that is the "Died" trigger, which will trigger an action if the target creature died within the last round. If you leave the area immediately, the script for that area stops running. Then next time you come back to the area, well, more than a round has elapsed, so the Area script will not trigger the action to open the door: the "Died in the last round" condition would not be filled. Once again, this can be avoided with a more proper implementation, but it is definitely not unheard of.
  • lollerslollers Member Posts: 190
    Endarire wrote: »
    How do you define "breaking" mods?

When they malfunction because of something the player did or didn't do.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    In that case, there's the easiest way to break a mod - install too many at once.
  • lollerslollers Member Posts: 190
    edited September 2021
    I do not know what too many is. None of what I have on BG1 claim to modify the same people. how about my use of CTRL-I to cycle through NPC talks with each other? I do it because it takes literal days to see more than a few of them. Maybe it can cause malfunctions, like characters saying the same things or somebody who isn't Minsc talking like Minsc.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    Baldur's Gate is not really like an Elderscrolls title, the game has no way to tell what is coming from a mod and what is part of the base game (originally the override folder was used for patches).

So there's nothing you can do that specifically breaks mods in general.

There might be something that breaks specific mods due to what they do. Or bugs in a mod might break things when you just play normally.

Generally using cheats can always break the game (both modded and unmodded), especially if you start teleporting around and miss plot triggers.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Installing mods in the wrong order.

Installing mods on top of a game in progress.

Changing mods around on an already modded install.