Skip to content

Sorcerer study magic

Hi everyone.
I need help from people in possession of higher knowledge than me.

Trying to decide what class to aim for with "normal human"-stats in a bg2 playthrough, a thought struck me;
Gorion and other magic-users in Candlekeep most likely aided in Charnames magical tuteledge if Charname showed interest in learning the art.

Now lets say a sorcerer (Godchild as the ward is) had a high intelligens and started to study the art the same way a mage apprentice would.
Naturally capable of using raw magic and studied it like a mage.
Would that sorcerer have any benifits compared to a random sorcerer or a learned mage?

Lets say Charname continue studying the art during the entire saga (planar sphere, scrolls, magic items, spell books, books about the art et al) does that potentially give said sorcerer any benefits or disadvantages?

Any DMs out there with a world of lore knowledge?

Comments

• CasepassCasepass Member Posts: 19
    I am going to head-canon this as my own DM.
    Option 1; offensivly trained sorcerer.
    Disadvantage: 1 less spell learned per level.
    Advantage: decreased casting speed by 2.
    Increased cast slots by 1 per level.

Option 2; scholard sorcerer.
    Disadvantage: decreased cast slots by 1 per level.
    Advantage: 1 more learned spell per level.
    Lore increased by 2 per level.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    In the Return of the Archwizards trilogy the main character is a sorcerer.

It's portrayed as a natural aptitude for magic. He can repeat any spell after seeing it cast once. His fundamental problem is he's meddling in forces he doesn't truly understand. Casting spells without really understanding them on an academic level means he's often hit with a cost or a consequence he didn't anticipate. What appeared to be a simple teleportation spell might find him traversing some kind of confusing between space where he could become trapped forever if he doesn't play his cards right. That super cool powerful shadow magic he saw cast turned out to bring him closer to his shadow self every time he casts it. Just as shadow is the absence of light, so too does he lose a bit of what makes him him until he is only the absence of the man he once was. Stuff like that.

Obviously in gameplay terms an ability to repeat any spell you saw cast once would be broken, but it is an example in official Forgotten Realms media where a sorcerer could've benefited from taking a more academic approach to his magic.