Skip to content

Extended night flag in original areas causes CTD

MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
I have been playing around with the fog weather effects, and it appears that getting it to work correctly is linked to using the extended night flag. Areas where it is set work great. Areas where it doesn't have red fog at night.

However, when I try to set this flag on an area that doesn't already have it, the game will CTD as soon as it turns night in that area. For instance, I tried setting it on Beregost and advancing the time. The game was fine until it went dark, at which point it crashed out.

Any ideas what is going on here? Thanks!

Comments

• BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,000
    Normal areas use a global tint to change "daytime" maps into "nighttime" maps when rendering. The extended-night flag tells the engine to use a dedicated night-tileset instead of doing the conversion on the fly, (for example, extended-night AR0100 uses AR0100N.WED, AR0100N.TIS, AR0100N.MOS, and AR0100LN.BMP).

I guess fog doesn't play nice with the nighttime conversion's global tint, and the extended-night flag happens to bypass that. The problem is that those night-tileset files don't exist for normal areas, so that's why the game crashes when you enable the flag for Beregost.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Yup, in the time since I asked, I kept poking around and figured that out when Near Infinity loaded a separate tile set for night-time on extended night areas.

I also figured out that the red is because the game is treating normal night time as twilight for the purposes of illuminating the fog - which is a legit bug in the engine. One that Beamdog apparently did not fix in the latest patch. However, I guess the fact that fog is only supposed to exist in the SoD content makes it a low priority.