Skip to content

Playing persistent world custom classes in single player

Hello,

I would really like to play a custom base class that's available on one of the persistent multiplayer worlds in a single player campaign. Is it possible? Exporting the character returns the class as Barbarian and the character is unplayable due to "invalid class". I have to add I'm not really technically savvy, but I'd appreciate every answer.

Comments

• ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    IIRC you can only play the classes that the module is set up with.

PRC is a popular custom class package, so maybe you were using one of those on the PW.

If you look on Neverwinter Vault, there are SP campaigns that mention PRC, which will offer custom classes.

I imagine you can add PRC to other SP modules if you have an understanding of the toolset.

Maybe others know whether that's easy or not.
  • RifkinRifkin Member Posts: 141
    You can add the hak and tlk files from that persistent world to the module you want to play your custom class character; however there is a very big caveat here... Most persistent worlds do not include their custom scripts for custom class feats and/or spells in the hak files, so those would not function if the scripts are absent. You would have to recreate those scripts yourself, if you do not know how to script it you're basically not going to get it to work properly.
  • TerrorbleTerrorble Member Posts: 169
    I'm interested in what they've done, what's different about the class?
  • VancyVancy Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where the hakpaks for the persistent worlds are located? I could try to fiddle with it with what knowledge I have, but I cannot locate them in my game files.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    If the PW uses nwsync, apparently its files are removed from the haks and placed in the nwsync subfolder of your Neverwinter Nights documents.

If you subscribe to multiple PWs or curated modules, my understanding is that the nwsync subfolder will be a jumble of files from all of those sources.

PWs that don't use nwsync will invite you to install haks in your hak subfolder, but since you can't find them I'm guessing your PW isn't one of those.

Others may have better information.
  • ForSeriousForSerious Member Posts: 446
    I believe it's possible to create custom classes by only manipulating the 2da files on the server machine. If that's the case, only the people that run the server would be able to give you those files. And most likely they won't, because they don't want their work copied.
  • DazDaz Member Posts: 125
    The client needs the edited 2da(s) too, the only thing you can't get is any custom scripts.
  • RifkinRifkin Member Posts: 141
    Daz wrote: »
    The client needs the edited 2da(s) too, the only thing you can't get is any custom scripts.

Exactly what I was saying. I've heard of servers including scripts in the haks to preserve space in the module for other objects, but it's rare.
  • StratovariusStratovarius Member Posts: 30
    Proleric wrote: »
    IIRC you can only play the classes that the module is set up with.

PRC is a popular custom class package, so maybe you were using one of those on the PW.

If you look on Neverwinter Vault, there are SP campaigns that mention PRC, which will offer custom classes.

I imagine you can add PRC to other SP modules if you have an understanding of the toolset.

Maybe others know whether that's easy or not.

PRC has an automated tool for adding itself to modules, called the Module Updater. (Incidentally, it would work for any hak, erf, or tlk, it's not PRC specific.)

We've also got a lot of preconverted modules kicking around, many of them on NWVault, and a bunch more here, including all of the Premium Modules.