Skip to content

Reducing ammo stack sizes in BG1:EE

PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
Is there a way to reduce the ammo stack size back to 20? I've tried editing the item files for various arrows and bolts and changed the stack size from 80 down to 20 but then I start a new game and the stack size is still 80.

Comments

• YigorYigor Member Posts: 536
    What's the reason to reduce it? Usually, ppl wanna increase stack sizes. ?
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    Nostalgia for the difficulty of the original BG. One of the things I miss is those trips to the Gnoll Fortress, and especially the Cloakwood Mines, where you have a long way to go so you stock up on as much ammo as you can carry. In the Enhanced Editions with the stack size of 80 you barely notice it but in the original BG you could easily run out of slingshot and crossbow bolts before you've achieved your objective. Running low on ammo and having to decide which encounters are worth expending your last few crossbow bolts on, and which you should try to get through with using any was a layer of strategy that is lost with the large EE stack sizes.
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    I'm reasonably sure Tweaks has a component that does this (though I'll note that I always use it the other direction, because inventory management is just annoying)
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    I am not sure there is a mod for it - Tweaks Anthology only allows increasing the size.

However, I am surprised your editing the items directly did not work. Maybe something went wrong with that? Did the edited item file end up correctly in the override folder and do you still see your changes when reopening the item in the editor?

Anyway - I enjoy inventory management and logistics as a game elements & it often leads to slower and more deliberate gameplay.

There were tactical choices in Baldur's Gate 1 (the original) like having to decide what kind of ammo to ready & what to put in your quickslots that are missing from BG 2 and BG1-in-BG2 conversions. With pause on inventory it's simply not a thing anymore.

So in EE arrows being modded to have noticable weight would probably be a better logistic adjustment.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    You can double click the stacks and pull 20 out, then drop the rest on the ground. Or just buy them from stores in stacks of 20. This isn't something that requires a mod to do, just a bit of self restraint.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    Max party size of four is something easily handled by self-restraint, but this?

That's *a lot* of extra clicks, also whenever you loot ammo from containers. And it's the kind of fast repetitive clicking that can cause issues with fingers.

I think looking for a mod to handle this is a lot more reasonable.
    ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Well, you're not wrong. But its still possible.
    Ammar
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Arrow stack sizes - easily done. Maximum stack size is a property of items, in a standard place and thus easy to edit and automate.

Giving arrows appreciable weight - not without changing lots of things. A weight of 0.1 per arrow would be appropriate, but the system can't handle anything other than integer weights. You would have to scale the whole system, multiplying all carrying capacities and all other weights by 10.
  • CeresCeres Member Posts: 6
    I've made for you, ammo stack to 20 for arrows, bullets, daggers, darts and bolts.
    Work for BGEE and BG2EE

Not a perfect script but work ;)