Skip to content

Can you beat Coldhearth without Deepvein?

I believe I may have let Deepvein die when I first encountered him.

Is there a way to beat Coldhearth without the gem The Secret Revealed?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Yeah, the secret revealed just makes it reasonably doable that early. You'll need to do lots of hit and run tactics and waiting for protection spells to run out.
  • SBlackSBlack Member Posts: 32
    It's a standard lich fight, even if he is very powerful. So the usual spells for dispelling and protection apply. Using a Protection From Magic Scroll helps a lot and last much longer than his own protection spells.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Standard lich, yeah. But most standard liches are in BG2, where your resources and levels will almost always be much better.
  • Albatr055Albatr055 Member Posts: 28
    I just want a better solution than hitting and running x 10.

Are there a combination of spells I can use that can completely shift the tide of the battle to me?
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,351
    As stated protection from magic works wonders.

I use protection from undead. He has no answer for that, and will go down easily.

If you want a fight without the above mentioned, please note that you will be fighting a lich at level 8-10. Many will consider that extremely difficult. A face off between your mages and him will surely end in your demise.

If you want to fight him anyway, try

1) laying some traps,
    2) start with a backstab,
    3) retreat and send in summons galore (from wand summons etc.),
    4) hit him with elemental arrows, bullets and darts from afar,
    5) use melee only when he is out of nasty spells.

In the end he will go down if your summons have baited out his best spells.

He will start from the top of his spell list, so once he is down to magic missile, you can close in on melee range (using the shield amulet).
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    I don't recall his stats exactly and how close he is to a standard lich, so this might be off.

If he has the typical lich blanket immunity to Level 5 and below then outlasting is the classical strategy, distract with summons, prot from magic, etc.

If there's also the typical delays in his protection coming online then you can also abuse the hell out of the split second between the first attack and protections coming online, though I consider this to be on the exploity side (at least stone skin should be up before combat given 12 hours duration).
  • Albatr055Albatr055 Member Posts: 28
    Where can I find protection from magic and undead?
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    As an aside, if you have a character with boots of speed, this is where they shine. In my last run, I was able to get Coldhearth's phylactery to the conveniently located recycling area before he could respawn.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,351
    You have to bring both protection from magic and undead from BG1.

So if you dont have them, it’s either Deepvein or one (or more) of the above mentioned tactics.