Skip to content

[EET mod idea] Make Beregost/Bridgefort, etc. relevant again

MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
edited October 2021 in BGII:EE Mods
It occurred to me that an easy way to get players to return to the north after BG1 in EET installs would be to open up the possibilities for Thalantyr and Tairom (and possibly Jegg) in BG2. Obviously once you get Cespenar in TOB, it would be a bit silly to hike all the way to Beregost, but at least for SoA, it would seem reasonable to trade time for gold.

For Tairom and Jegg, the idea is that Cromwell is expensive. Tairom might cost half as much to do the same work, but you have to hike all the way back to Beregost. Jegg might be even less expensive, but that means hiking all the way back to Bridgefort. It would be a cheap and easy way to take advantage of EET - literally! In addition to the dialog to refer to them, both would need all the recipes for items in all games, including any ToB items that are obtainable in SoA.

In reality, with EET, all of the smiths from all of the games should have all of the recipes, including Cespenars, as it is possible to return to any of them. However, having your own private "smith" in your own pocket plane might make it a bit silly for ToB unless the prices were especially good.

As for Thalantyr, his taciturn nature and reticence to share knowledge would make him the perfect candidate for simply limiting what you can buy in the way of magic based on your level. In BG1, he would only offer things suitable for a starting mage, but as the chapters advance, he starts opening up more and more of his stock - until, by ToB, he is offering much of the same stock as Lazarus Librarus from Saradush. Again, a potentially easy way to encourage people to return to High Hedge later in the game. I could even see this being expanded on a chapter by chapter basis, where his stock subtly expands based on his estimation of your mage's abilities.

Finally, we know that the Mirrorshades at the FAI were once adventurers. Wouldn't it be cool if you could get some necessary supplies from the FAI for quests in SoA? This one might be tougher, since they have run an inn for a long time. Alternately, once the PC knows their heritage, it might be interesting to revisit the Mirrorshades with that knowledge, given what the inn once was.

It might also be interesting to see how Mazzy, raised in wealthy Trademeet, might react to Gullykin village.

Comments

• PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Thalantyr is an interesting case - he moved to the High Hedge for reasons and the location likely limits what spells would be available. Maybe a mod for EET that unlocks higher level of spells/magic items by way of mini-quests involving items only found after a chapter boundary (e.g.: Polluted Nashkel Ore can only be found starting from Chapter 2 since Chapter 2 is triggered before you can enter the Nashkel Mines, so delivering Polluted Nashkel Ore for Thalantyr to study would unlock a selection of spells)
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    edited October 2021
    Yeah, the idea for Thalantyr is that certain magical items and scrolls would be chapter locked, so you don't have some level 1 rookie trying to cast Gate.
  • lollerslollers Member Posts: 190
    Why can't the pocket plane transport me to Beregost?
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    lollers wrote: »
    Why can't the pocket plane transport me to Beregost?

It actually can, and playing an EET game in ToB is very interesting as a result. For example, if you save the Illithid area of the Underdark until after you have access to the pocket plane, it makes it stupidly easy. You simply pop into it, rest, pop back. You can even freshen up your golems while you are there.

If you mean directly, though, even in the beginning your choices are only "where I was before", "outside of Saradush", and "inside of Saradush", which is fine for what it is.