Skip to content

Most power character

What is the most power character assuming character has 25 all stats naturally and best items available (E.G can include 2 rings of Gaxx if you want to) and max level? and please explain why as well

Comments

• lollerslollers Member Posts: 190
    Well it depends, are you asking this because you are struggling with the difficulty? Archer might be the best for you in that case, with a focus on shortbows. It does incredible damage as isn't complicated at all and is likely the class that will die least of all while in combat. Berserker at ninth level dual classed to mage is the best overall at really everything. Only a base thac0 of 11 which is enough to hit just about every nameless enemy consistently, but a bit poor against some of the named ones. The berserker can put all five proficiency points into a weapon category however, and they have rage 3 times per rest to improve the poor 11 thac0 a few points. Any arcane spellcasting class has the most potential to increase experience points as they can earn more than 800,000 experience points scribing each scroll into the book even one time, and they can erase and relearn them all a few times.
    Neralim
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    with the cheat console enabled, crtl+Y is the most powerful character
    KatzerchenBalrog99MERLANCE
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    ... and no, you're not going to get a "real" answer. There are too many different threats out there, against which different builds and tactics excel. If you want extreme theory-crafting, you need a more focused challenge like "is it possible to reliably one-shot Sarevok?" (Answer: yes, if you build basically the whole party for it.)

As for the 25 stats thing ... I once time-looped a character, exporting and importing to play through BGEE collecting tomes a bunch of times and reach that level. Then I abandoned him because it wasn't fun.
    Neralim
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Archer with the Godbow! Maybe better would be Fighter 13 dualed to Mage with grandmaster in longbow (and the Godbow, of course).
  • NeralimNeralim Member Posts: 13
    edited November 2021
    I'm asking because I did something like this before but found I lost all my work when I changed PCs and I'm trying to it build up again. I have not played in many year but I'm starting to plan characters.

I like to play through the with the same character over and over again until I get bored and since I'm starting fresh I thought that's perfect since I can do everything all-over again.

Tears of Bhaal Choices.
    FEAR TEAR (the Nymph cloak)
    Good: Immunity to +1 weapons or less
    Evil: +2 CON

SELFISHNESS TEAR (sacrifice for companion)
    Good: +10 resistance to magic, -1 DEX, -2 hp, -75000xp
    Evil: +2 to your AC

GREED TEAR (the Blackrazor sword)
    Good: +2 to all saving throws
    Evil: +15 to HP

PRIDE TEAR (the dragon)
    Good: +20% resistances to fire, cold and electricity
    Evil: Gain 200,000 experience

WRATH TEAR (Sarevok)
    Good: +1 to WIS and CHA
    Evil: +2 to STR

BG 2: ToB

+1 to all Stats, Machine of Lum the Mad
    +1 to Primary Stat, Deck of Many Things (Watchers Keep)

these sort of things stack, so you can get 100 magic resistance as an example. I pretty much only play good play throughs so I don't get the evil benefits like human armour and +15 HP and +2 AC but I'm not bothered about that too much I only ever do those if I'm being silly but never on a main character.

What I was mainly looking for was what is the strongest character only doing good moral choices at the end when you can be immune to most things naturally and don't have to consider who is weak until the end as most people consider being strong at the very end pointless if you are useless up until that point but I don't.

And I know at that this point everything is extremely ridiculous but want to see what people think is the most ridiculous since your main concern will ending being damage since you will have so much defence.

If you guys have more questions about this please let me know as I'm very interested in seeing what people can come up with.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    dual class. always
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    I would suggest a dwarven defender. Towards the end of the game that's providing you with very high HPs, 100% immunity to physical damage and automatic saves against almost all status effects. A mage can potentially be even more effective, but achieving that requires a lot more micro-management.
    You won't reach 100% without mods; the best the dwarven defender can do is 93% resistance to slashing and piercing damage and 100% to crushing and missile damage. (20% innate, 50% Defensive Stance, 3% Helmet of Dumathoin, 20% melee Defender of Easthaven, 50% crushing Roranach's Horn, 25% missile Belt of Inertial Barrier, 10% missile Orc Leather armor.)

Still, that's enough. It's even entirely immune to dispel and breach effects, unlike other character's options. Hardiness can be breached, Armor of Faith can be dispelled and breached, but Defensive Stance isn't subject to either.

Then you add saving throws, magic resistance, and elemental resistance of "Yes"; there's not much left that can hurt you. Imprisonment, dragons with acid breath weapons, level drain. And you can prepare for the encounters in which those come up.

Fighter/clerics, paladins, and rangers can get pretty close to the dwarven defender by stacking Armor of Faith and Hardiness, but they're subject to dispel and breach. A cavalier is of particular note here, with their acid resistance shoring up one of the relative weak points.
    Yigor
    I would like to add. We are only talking about the base game, No mods, and no file editing, if you cant do it with in the base game its beyond the scope of this post.
    edited November 2021
    in my opinion these are probably the best characters in the game. Wild mage might also be great with 100% magic resistance and that might off set most the negatives but I have never played a wild and don't know too much about them. Is there anything that you guys like, like a berserker 12/ mage 28, what you guys think. If you think these are best characters or if you think you have something better or something interesting please share it.

dual class
    Kensai Thief
    25 27
    best physical damage

(non-EE, as they get all druid spells as well)
    dual class
    ranger cleric
    21 26
    best version of cleric due to having all druid spells available as well

Sorcerer
    best wizard spell caster over all

dual class
    Kensai mage
    21 22
    very high and versatile damage, might be best over all class.

1st edit, update

removed
    dual class
    Necromancers cleric
    22 23
    best wizard spell caster for damage from single spell and able to give support if needed

removed as it is so much worse then all the other characters
    Post edited by Neralim on
    Yigor
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,567
    dual berserker 9 / mage is arguably the best class, with the exception of the downtime due to the dual. Otherwise a multi fighter/mage, usually a gnome, tho elf could work too. This is based on my experience of looking at what various powergamers out there have written.

One of the key facts is how the game engine separates spell casting from attacking, so both things can be squeezed into the same round, unlike how it would work in PnP or a turn-based version of D&D. Can't always be taken advantage of due to some casting times, but still, it's an important fact. Add to this that wizard spells are much better than cleric or druid and there you go. Add on top of this the wide list of immunities that the berserk state grants you -- immunities to some of the nastiest things the game can throw at you, and there you go. It's much better than Kensai/mage imo and has the added benefit of being stronger pre dual as well.

Other similar variants on this are also quite strong. Fighter/mage/thief multi, especially if you're soloing. Swashbuckler - Mage dual. And of course even Fighter/Cleric or Fighter/Druid combos are strong.
    Neralim
    edited November 2021
    @DinoDin from my understanding the main thing you are getting from enrage is immune imprisonment and the +ac, damage and life is very nice as well. I just wonder is it worth it? unless I'm missing something

edit
    just want to point out as well, we will have 100 magic resistance which I believe will make us immune to the rest the effects that is granted by enrage

2nd edit
    berserker 9 is better then 12, I thought it was a level 7 spell that was given up but it is a level 8 spell and that is not worth it
    Aaezil
    edited November 2021
    I have compiled a list of Armor's that are best. I have left out Items that can only be gotten in BG1. All items here can be gotten in to SOA and TOB. Please let me know if I might of missed something or if any corrections need/should to be made.
    I will be doing one for weapons.

Armor

Amulets
    Amulet of Power (Immunity to Level Drain and -1 Spell casting speed)

Armor’s
    Robe of Vecna (Decrease casting time by 4)
    Silver Dragon Scale (Movement rate: +3 and Heals wearer 2 HP each time damage is taken)

Boots
    Gargoyle Boots (can cast Stoneskin twice per day anmd immunity to backstab)

Gauntlets
    Gauntlets of Extraordinary (Extra 1/2 attack per round)

Cloaks
    Improved Cloak of Protection +2 (Can cast level 20 Improved Haste and Improved Invisibility once per rest)

Belts
    Cloverleaf (+1 luck)

Helmets
    Circlet of Netheril (additional 7th and 8th additional 7th and 8th and Protects against critical hits in non-EE)
    Vhailor's Helm (Protects against critical hits and Simulacrum once per day)

Rings
    Ring of Gaxx (Immune to Poison, Immune to disease and Regenerate 1 HP / 3s)

Shields
    No shield worth using

1st edit, update

*Item changes

Armor’s
    removed Human Flesh +5
    added Silver Dragon Scale

Boots
    removed Boots of Avoidance
    added Cloverleaf

Cloaks
    removed Cloak of Mirroring (i dont think it does anything for someone who Immune to most spells)

Helmets
    removed Helm of Balduran
    added Vhailor's Helm

Shields
    removed Shield of the Order +4

*Also added notes for items and what is the benefit of the item

*all characters mentioned as "best" can all use these items. I will also go over items with more then one choice and what I would recommend.

Kensai Thief;
    can use Silver Dragon Scale even if good due to "use any item" very nice for the extra moment speed
    Vhailor's Helm for the Simulacrum

ranger cleric
    Robe of Vecna, for the cast speed
    Vhailor's Helm for the Simulacrum

Sorcerer
    Robe of Vecna for the cast speed
    Circlet of Netheril for spell slots

Kensai mage
    Robe of Vecna for the cast speed
    Circlet of Netheril for spell slots
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    The strength belts are all good to start with. Boots of speed. Seldarine amulet is nice as well if you value MR as much as you seem to do. Ring of the Ram is very useful.
    @Ammar we don't to about MR from item at all as we can get 100% from Tears of Bhaal if we want to.

We can take it a step further and also have 25 all stats with out items. We have a character with caped AC, MR, HP, fire/cold/electric, slashing damage resistance, AC, thAC0 and Immunity to +1 weapons or less all with out wearing any items, if we want to do that, on any class or character.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Neralim wrote: »
    @Ammar we don't to about MR from item at all as we can get 100% from Tears of Bhaal if we want to.

We can take it a step further and also have 25 all stats with out items. We have a character with caped AC, MR, HP, fire/cold/electric, slashing damage resistance, AC, thAC0 and Immunity to +1 weapons or less all with out wearing any items, if we want to do that, on any class or character.

You can do that, but doing so changes the nature of this sort of discussion. Some of the items you've listed above as "best" would be useless or sub-optimal for such a character.
    Ammar
    Grond0 wrote: »

You can do that, but doing so changes the nature of this sort of discussion. Some of the items you've listed above as "best" would be useless or sub-optimal for such a character.

Exactly, I assumed you were placing several of those items on the list at least partially due to them giving MR.

And of course, you can have a discussion under those circumstances (playing the game repeatedly to stack boni), but for me it is essentially the same as using the console to make the same changes, so it's not something I'd be interested to take part in.
    DinoDinGrond0
  • YigorYigor Member Posts: 536
    in my opinion these are probably the best characters in the game...

dual class
    Necromancers cleric
    22 23
    best wizard spell caster for damage from single spell and able to give support if needed

In IWD you can get better 29/30 dual-class and 30/30(/30) multi-class characters. ? However, threre is no HLA in IWD. ?
    StummvonBordwehr
    edited November 2021
    @Yigor @Ammar @Grond0 I believe I have made this clear from the start, That we are only for at the best or close to the best. None of the items were choose for MR and I don't play IWD.

I have also up dated the armour list and have given a short explanation on why those items.

"but for me it is essentially the same as using the console to make the same changes, so it's not something I'd be interested to take part in." Fair enough.
    I just saw my items list seems to gone, ill report this
    edited November 2021
    I explained in my last armour post why some armours and other bits of info in the edit but for now ill just post the items again and with weapons as well.

Armor

Amulets
    Amulet of Power

Armor’s
    Robe of Vecna
    Silver Dragon Scale

Boots
    Gargoyle Boots

Gauntlets
    Gauntlets of Extraordinary

Cloaks
    Improved Cloak of Protection +2

Belts
    Belt of Inertial Barrier

Helmets
    Circlet of Netheril
    Vhailor's Helm

Rings
    Ring of Gaxx

Shields
    none worth using

Weapon

Black Blade of Disaster + Shadow Thief Dagger for Sorcerer

Black Blade of Disaster + Shadow Thief Dagger Kensai mage

2 x Flail of Ages +5 for ranger cleric and Kensai Thief

Ah - what version are you playing? Because in current BG2EE, the Shadow Thief Dagger is just a nonmagical dagger with a slight boost to weapon speed. It's strictly worse than a generic +1 dagger.
    edited November 2021
    @jmerry depending on the version. If the dagger does not give bonus APR then I would use Dagger of the Star +5 and / or Staff of the High Forest. I would use the staff in general and the dagger if I am use the Black Blade of Disaster.

Side note, best weapon is Black Blade of Disaster and Scarlet Ninja-To for the Kensai Thief but could be annoying to use Black Blade of Disaster scrolls and that is why did not mention.

Black Blade of Disaster and Scarlet Ninja-To might be the very best dual wilding combo maybe? or maybe using a Black Blade of Disaster and a Flail of Ages +5???
    Staff of the High Forest. You mean, that item that only Cernd can use? Well, Use Any Item opens it up to rogues if they also meet the ridiculous stat requirements. Sorry, that is no longer an option for your mage or sorcerer.

NPC-only items got an update with the EE; most of them are truly restricted to the NPC with no loopholes, while UAI opens up a few. They still tend to have overly restrictive class/alignment/stat requirements as well.
    Mechanically, some of them are listed in item_use.2da and others have a "Restrict Item" ability tied to the actor's script name. The former has no loopholes, while UAI bypasses the latter.
    @jmerry If that is the case then just use Dagger of the Star +5 in the main and off hand would probably be best. does not matter too much its just there if you need the weapon damage or if you need to cast Black Blade of Disaster its nice to have in the off hand.

Thank you so much for helping and correcting information @jmerry ^^
    On Flail of Ages, worth noticing that the Flail of Ages + 5 blocks you from using Haste due to the Free Action effect, unless you are using mods or a cheesy unequip/haste/equip workaround.
    edited November 2021
    @Ammar that is correct, if I really want to or need to cast improved haste for a fight I would just do as you mentioned unequip, cast improved haste then equip them back on. They are so strong in general, improved haste will just speed things up, especially if you are dual wielding 2 Flail of Ages +5.