Skip to content

Kensai or Berzerker/Druid

I'm looking to dual a fighter to a druid and I was hoping to hear some of your opinions on my options. Ironskin seems to make Kensai an option but those Berzerker immunities are always nice.

Perhaps more importantly, which weapons do you think I should be going for. I'm guessing Scimitar / Club are really my only options. I can't remember many of those in BG1 so what do you suggest?

Thanks!

Comments

• IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    Well for damage the Kensai I suppose. There will probably be scimitars added to this version, and else just kill Drizzt
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    I'm playing a berserker right now and planning to dual him at 13. I was attempting a no-reload run, so I didn't want the headache of trying to keep my guy alive in the early game. So, I rolled berserker instead of kensai. Berserk is awesome for some of the nasty critters in early BG1, like Ghasts. At 13, you'll get most of the fighter benefits, and still be able to hit druid 14 under the SoA cap (I don't like outlevelling content).
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    I'd usually recommend Kensai for a dual class fighter/ but with druid I'd suggest Berserker. Take advantage of full plate & gauntlets. Kensai/Mages can cast enough spells to defend themselves (certainly more than Iron Skins), they also can use Mage robes & Thieves eventually get UAI.

I think there's both clubs & scimitars added but there was two scimitars already that you could use - One of Drizzts & another (+2) in Durlags Tower. Failing that... Use a scimitar in your main hand & a dagger in your off-hand - Venom or Longtooth.

Berserker abilites will also work well with your defences.

Come BG2EE you'll be able to use the Spectral Brand in your main-hand & Belm in your off-hand & thats delicious.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    first: fighter -> druid requires ridiculous stats. remember that.

both are valid options - there is a shield amulet early in game (nashkel carnival), which makes kensai defenses pretty good, ironskins improves upon that. not bad, though don't get more than 3 levels of fighter - you want grandmastery, and you want it fast. (as in druid 8 fast)
  • bdeonovicbdeonovic Member Posts: 86

first: fighter -> druid requires ridiculous stats. remember that

both are valid options - there is a shield amulet early in game (nashkel carnival), which makes kensai defenses pretty good, ironskins improves upon that. not bad, though don't get more than 3 levels of fighter - you want grandmastery, and you want it fast. (as in druid 8 fast)

Why only 3 levels of fighter?
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001

first: fighter -> druid requires ridiculous stats. remember that.

How do you plan getting grand mastery at level 3?

• MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    In BGEE you can only put two proficiency points in any weapon at character creation for fighters, so you cant achieve grandmastery.
    @bdeonovic, @IchigoRXC, @Mungri: 3 levels, because: (let's assume you want to use scimitars, because... well, you do.)

at character creation, you can put 2 point to scimitars. (and say two to two weapon fighting, dam-da-dam)
    fighter level 3 gets you 3 points in scimitars, now you dual class.
    first level of druid gets you two prof. points, put it in... whatever you wish. (say, dagger + sword and shield style)
    then druid level 4 gets you one more proficiency point, and because you got back your fighter class, now you have 4* at scimitar.
    ...and finally, at druid level 8: grandmastery, aka 5*.

have fun.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Aha, thats rather tricksy of you!
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I think they may also have fixed the exploit where you could continue to add pips to a weapon proficiency after you had dualled out of a fighter class.

OP: I always preferred berserker over Kensai for a dual-class option even though the synergy between kenasi and mage is obvious. As you are going for Druid though I would whole heartedly recommend berserker simply because you can use armour. There isn't much synergy between kensai and druid.
  • bdeonovicbdeonovic Member Posts: 86
    decado said:

I think they may also have fixed the exploit where you could continue to add pips to a weapon proficiency after you had dualled out of a fighter class.

OP: I always preferred berserker over Kensai for a dual-class option even though the synergy between kenasi and mage is obvious. As you are going for Druid though I would whole heartedly recommend berserker simply because you can use armour. There isn't much synergy between kensai and druid.

can someone confirm this?????
    @decado: nope, tested it before I wrote the comment.