Skip to content

NWN Issues/Errors (Multiple)

I am having some issues, both serious and minor and hope to get some advice on resolving them.

The main one is that NWN keeps taking all the memory and not releasing it back. This is resulting in the game crashing after 3-5 hours (sometimes less) when playing on servers with large content bases; the more zones and character changes the more quickly this happens. Sometimes in less than half an hour.

The system is an i5 with 16G ram, running Fedora 35. On 33 the game would grind to a halt and need to be killed from console if that ever responded or rebooted. On 35 the OOM killer seems to be doing the job. Nobody I have discussed this with has had any real idea what it could be. The only odd errors I've seen were i915 graphics related. I have tried under Xorg, Wayland, Gnome and Wayfire all to the same end result.

The others are probably easier to resolve. One is, what does Error: 40964 mean? Is there an error-code definitions file somewhere I can check for this and future such errors?

Another is missing resources, usually targa files. I don't see any reasonable way to search to determine what is supposed to be providing them. Is there somewhere in the local game I can check to see which source is at fault for not providing them? I've tried web searches based on the filenames without luck.

The first is a missing font, fnt_maintext.tga obviously the menu font, confirmed by renaming another targa file and dropping it in override. This is at load and changing the high-res option does not change the error.

Others are mostly item targa files such as the following, though there are hundreds:
[ResMan] Resource pmh0_bicepl005.tga not found
[ResMan] Resource pmh0_bicepr005.tga not found
[ResMan] Resource pmh0_forer021.tga not found
[ResMan] Resource pmh0_neck003.tga not found

I suspect these are due to the server not providing them via nwsync; but would just like to confirm this and that it isn't actually a game issue.

Any insight would be appreciated.