Skip to content

Halfling Bard Kit Idea

I suffer from a bad case of 'resetitus' and the reason is because I love both the halfling race AND the bard class, which sadly are mutually exclusive due to race/class restrictions. As a result I want to play a halfling thief or fighter/thief for a while, get bored, move to the bard, do that and then go back to a halfling class.

As a result I've actually started thinking of a potential bard kit that is exclusive to the halfling (like the Dwarven Defender) and fits lorewise with the halfling not having access to magic due to their resistance to it. I've created a weird combination of a thief and a bard that I'd love to turn into a kit mod, but I sadly lack the ability to code it. Thus I'm leaving it here *wink wink*

The Halfling Wanderer kit:

"Halflings are known for their wanderlust and love of tales, yet many of these adventurers shortlings receive a seedy reputation as thieves and pickpockets, scoundrels out to grab as much as they can get their hands on. While it's true that plenty of halflings choose a shadier path in life many young halflings actually live the way of the Wanderer, spreading tales and a love of hearth to the outside world. These adventurers often live by a strict moral code inherent to the halfling race, shying away from illegal activity and frowning upon others who do so. Such individuals are, naturally, extremely desired in many a party for their useful skills while not drawing the ire of the law of the land."

Class: Bard
Kit: Halfling Wanderer

Class Features:
- May not equip shields larger than bucklers.
- May only become proficient (one slot) in any weapon class.
- May only become proficient (one slot) in any fighting style.
- May use bard song ability (this is the vanilla song with the luck bonus).
- Hit Die: 1d6.

Kit features:
- May not equip armor heavier than studded leather.
- May specialize in the following weapons: shortsword, sling.
- May distribute 15 points per level (25 at level 1) in thieving abilities: Open Locks, Find Traps, Move Silently, Hide in Shadows, Detect Illusion.
- Starts with base scores of 10% in Open Locks, 5% in Find Traps, 10% in Move Silently and 5% in Hide in Shadows.
- May use Backstab ability, though for a lower damage multiplier than thieves:
Level 1-8: x2
Level 9-16: x3
Level 17+: x4
- Lore increases with 5 points every level.
- Alignment: restricted to Lawful Good or Lawful Neutral.

Disadvantages:

- May not pick pockets and no regular snares are given.
- No access to the Wizard Spellbook.

HLA's:

- Alchemy
- Assassination
- Avoid Death
- Evasion
- Greater Evasion
- Set Spike Trap
- Set Exploding Trap
- Set Time Trap
- Use Any Item

Two different ones:
- Epic Bard Song
- Twist the Blade: Backstabs now do the full x5 damage.

In my eyes this is a fairly well-balanced halfling bard kit that gets access to plenty of the useful thief abilities at the cost of being unable to cast any magic (except for scrolls with UAI). What do you guys think?

Comments

• GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    A problem with this one is that even EEEx doesn't offer the ability for a single kit to reorganize the action bar (it allows classes to do that which is why Thieving Skills for Bards work). Considering that this is closer to a thief kit than to an actual bard (with the lack of spells) turning the bard songs to an innate ability akin to how subtledoctor's Multiclass Bards and then coding this as a thief kit would be more doable.