Skip to content

Upscaling backgrounds with AI algorithm

SilvarenSilvaren Member Posts: 178
I was playing arround with things like REAL ERSGAN and made some upscaled assets of area maps from Infinity Enginge games. Source files originate from wiki so they are not fractured maps extracted from the game via Near Infinity so results may vary.

Maybe it's possible to enhance quality of backgrounds through AI and made some mods for original releases or EE?

statek-lowcow-niewolnikow.jpg
statek-lowcow-niewolnikow-upscaled.png
eh.jpg
eh-upscaled.png

More from BG1, BG2 and ID in the cloud:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10O-kACfAJUKdwTDp-27234BiCEaBKcIK?usp=sharing

Comments

• AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Damn, that's impressive! I could see a HD mod with such powerful tools.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    looks very nice, even the screen shot of the vanilla bg 1 with this AI makes it look good
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    Can this be done dynamically to allow compatibility with mods that add background images?
  • SilvarenSilvaren Member Posts: 178
    I'm no modder so I can't answer any technical question. What I already know is that upscaled and enhanced backgrounds should have original resolution, so in the end they still would be scale down.
  • fortysevenfortyseven Member Posts: 96
    If the upscale is down graded in resolution when imported back into the game I don't really see the point? Maybe the maps might have to be split into even smaller parts to maintain a higher resolution but that might be a very complicated approach to this problem. As far as your upscales go, I think they are pretty good, but they look very scrubbed giving them a sort of plastic look. Maybe adding in some grain after the upscale could make it look more gritty and realistic while maintaining the improved detail?