Skip to content

Use any item and carsomyr

For some reason it never occurred to me that a thief’s use any item ability allows use of carsomyr! Now I’m imagining a halfling fighter/thief wielding it. :#

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    im playing a game right now with a dwarf fighter/thief wielding it, and he is wrecking shop

one of my favourite versions of "thieves" using carsomyr was when i made a kensai 18 dualed to thief and once i hit use any item, holy poop

-16 AC that could deal up to 40 damage a hit, pretty scary
    sqxwgiqf8h8g.jpg

another favourite of mine is half-orc fighter/thief using it, starting off with 19 STR in BG 1 and getting all the way to 23 in ToB really makes your holmes a force to be reckoned with

kind of ironic that other classes wield the holy avenger than a paladin does hahaha
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Meh. Carsomyr isn't really that impressive for raw damage, and you can't backstab with it. The value comes from the dispelling hits and the magic resistance.

Average base damage per hit for some ToB melee weapons, including non-physical parts but not any "bane" modifiers againt specific enemies or non-damage effects:
    - Carsomyr +6: 12.5
    - Flail of Ages +4: 12.5
    - Storm Star +5: 13
    - Angurvadal +5: 13
    - Spectral Brand +5: 13
    - Crom Faeyr: 13
    - Foebane +5: 14
    - Staff of the Ram +6: 18
    - Club of Detonation +5: ~18
    - Flail of Ages +5: 19.5

Using Carsomyr can be worth it, but not really for the damage; it's not any more than the other endgame options. Oh, and you might have noticed Crom Faeyr in that list, assembled back in SoA? That's not including the 25 strength equip effect at all. Seriously, that weapon is insane. If you have anyone that can use it in the party, you should be using it. The same cannot be said for Carsomyr; I frequently run parties with paladins in them, and go for a dual-wield setup including Purifier instead.

Which is not to say that I don't keep Carsomyr around and use it on occasion. Having the option of a dispelling slash on notable enemies is always nice. It's just not usually a mainstay weapon for me.