Skip to content

[Soundset] Merlin from the 1980 film Excalibur

barker262barker262 Member Posts: 75
Ok. Time to bite the bullet.
I've made a sound set from the movie Excalibur and I think its good enough to let out into the world.

The voice sampled is that of Nicol Williamson (as Merlin) a shakespearian actor from the '60s and '70s. The selection of sound bites best fit a spell caster but i was careful to remove any instance of names being used i.e. 'I am Merlin.' So it should work for anything you like.

With no idea how to separate the speaking track from the backgound there are still some instances of music or sound effects (sometimes to its benefit).

I've included two images as character portraits that go well with the files:

--INSTALLATION--

Just pop the audio files into your 'lang/XX_XX/sounds' folder, and the images in your 'portraits' folder in Documents (not the actual game folder).

XXXXXXXa.wav : Battle Cry 1: "A dream to some. A NIGHTMARE TO OTHERS!"
XXXXXXXb.wav : Becoming Leader: "You betrayed the duke, you stole his wife, you took his castle. No noeone trusts you. "
XXXXXXXc.wav : Tired: "Oh I have slept. For nine moons."
XXXXXXXd.wav : Bored: "Bat wing. Snake skin. Is this all you've learned. To deal in potions and petty evil."
XXXXXXXe.wav : Badly Wounded: "It almost distroyed me."
XXXXXXXf.wav : Selected 1: "What I did for you wasn't easy."
XXXXXXXg.wav : Selected 2: "Oh yes. Oh you learn quickly. "
XXXXXXXh.wav : Selected 3: "You're the king. Not I."
XXXXXXXi.wav : Action Acknowledgement 1: "Perhaps not even that."
XXXXXXXj.wav : Action Acknowledgement 2: "Thats good. I like that."
XXXXXXXk.wav : Action Acknowledgement 3: "Oooh that plan is well known."
XXXXXXXl.wav : Being Hit: 'Ohff, arrgh.'
XXXXXXXm.wav : Dying: "I can tell you nothing more. My days are ended."
XXXXXXXn.wav : In Forest: "Can't you see all around you the dragons breath."
XXXXXXXo.wav : In City: "Have you used up all the magic you stole from me?'
XXXXXXXp.wav : In Dungeon: "Years to build an moments to ruin."
XXXXXXXq.wav : Daytime: "Now, the sort of person we're looking for is an aggressive, drunken lout with the intelligence of a four-year-old and the sexual sophistication of a donkey."
XXXXXXXr.wav : Nighttime: "Strikes like...(thunder strike) Wooh like lighting, yes thats it."
XXXXXXXs.wav : Action Acknowledgement 4: "Oh you do know something of the art!"
XXXXXXXt.wav : Action Acknowledgement 5: "There you are. That was easy too."
XXXXXXXu.wav : Action Acknowledgement 6: "SO you need me again, now that my truce is wrecked."
XXXXXXXv.wav : Action Acknowledgement 7: "You'll have to do better than that."
XXXXXXXw.wav : Reaction to Party Member Death: "When a man lies he murders some part of the world. You should know that."
XXXXXXXx.wav : Rare Acknowledgement 1: "Good and evil..There never is one without the other."
XXXXXXXy.wav : Rare Acknowledgement 2: "The time has come for me to go (wearily)."
XXXXXXXz.wav : Critical Hit Given: *** the best sound of metal on metal with a groan you'll ever hear ***
XXXXXXX1.wav : Critical Miss: "No. (Pause) Hmm."
XXXXXXX2.wav : Target Immune: "There's always something cleverer than yourself."
XXXXXXX3.wav : Inventory Full:
XXXXXXX4.wav : Successfully Picked A Pocket: "Behold!!"
XXXXXXX5.wav : Successfully Hid In Shadows: "A shadow. (spooky sound effect)"
XXXXXXX6.wav : Spell Disrupted: "There's always something cleverer than yourself."
XXXXXXX7.wav : Set A Trap: "There he goes.."
XXXXXXX8.wav : Battle Cry 2: "This is the moment that you must face at last."
XXXXXXX9.wav : Battle Cry 3: "Have you any magic left..to do battle?"
XXXXXXX0.wav : Selected 6: "Do you have the sight? Do you see the future?"
XXXXXXX_.wav : Action Acknowledgement 8: "Then you shall have it!"

Let me know what you think.

Also any advice out there for how I can get rid of back ground noise.

Comments

• EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    Thankee!

May we get this uploaded to GitHub for posterity?
  • barker262barker262 Member Posts: 75
    Um, I would if I knew how to. Do I have to open an account or something?
  • msthiamsthia Member Posts: 1
    Nice work!

From my limited experience of making soundsets it's quite difficult to completely get rid of the background noise without distorting the voices to much. I used audacity, there's a noise filter that gets rid of the lower decibal stuff typically the background noise. I watched some YouTube video on it, works fairly well but some parts of movies are just too loud and it ruins the voices editing out the background which ends up limiting your overall voice lines.

Typically Ill choose a character from a movie that speaks alot so I have the most sound clips to work with. Then I'll go through and filter out the background as much as possible sadly some clips will just not work. I'll make the voice pack with what is left...

I had varying successes with kael, sorsha, Bavmorda, Arthur, conan and a few others.. that Excalibur movie is amazing btw.. one of my favorites.
    Thanks Msthia. I had audacity but had no idea how to use it. Then I found ocean somehow and was able to navigate my way through that.

Regarding excalibur - one of the best sword and scorcery style fantasy (myth) film adaptions ever. I think there is enough dialog, for an alternavie Merlin file as well as, Arthur, Percival and Morgana.

'Willow' and 'Conan the barbarian (1980)', now there's a couple of solid title to look through, thanks for the tip.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    edited February 2022
    What about Sinbad from Voyages of Sinbad, or various characters from the Harry Potter films?
    Funny you should mention that Endarire; I was talking to my daughter yesterday about Gary Oldham, he's apparently in some of the Potter films. Haven't seen them myself (apart from the first one), but I really liked him in Dracula from the '90's, good voice. If you can think of some films where John HURT has a lot of dialog I could make one of his voice.

I don't know the Voyages of Sinbad, how about 'Master and Commander' instead?

P.S. What did you think of the sound bites?
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    edited September 2022
    How could you do a Merlin soundset and leave out the best line?

Anal nathrakh, uth vas bethud, dokhiel dienve! <3

Just kidding; great stuff.
    Isewein wrote: »
    How could you do a Merlin soundset and leave out the best line?

Anal nathrakh, uth vas bethud, dokhiel dienve! <3

Just kidding; great stuff.

Can't you see...all around you...the dragons breath.

but seriously I have about 50 other samples that I couldn't include, too much background noise, background music etc. Having said that, one of the first comments on here asked me to creat a Github and I'd love to leave them all in there but have no idea how to actually create a Github. Pointers would be greatfully received.