Skip to content

BG Artstyle with portrait help needed.

Greetings, I have an idea of taking a photo of myself then using photoshop to edit the picture into a Baldur's Gate style portrait to fit with the game, So far it's proven quite difficult to get anything close to BGs style as to me the standard portraits look sort of oil painted but i found out making a real photo to a oil like painting in the style of BG wasn't as easy as i thought it would be, So is there anybody here that could help with such a thing?

Comments

• BoozillaBoozilla Member Posts: 46
    aw man i should check these forums more.
    There is a ton of ways to do it.
    Here is a suggestion, try taking one of the soft default brushes, lower the opacity to about 40 to 60% and paint over what you want to alter ( Unless you are adding to the image, then use a hard edge brush). Remember to use the ALT key alot to select as many colors as possible as you paint, so you can blend everything. Also try making multiple copies on your image in the layers and changing the hue (ctrl - U) and then erase what you want, then flatten. That is a good way to get all the crazy colors Mike Sass did.
    It is a time consuming process, especially if you want it to match the BG style, but totally worth it.
    Hope that helps?
    Maybe?
    Possibly?
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    @OriginalDaniel: Have you seen this thread?

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/5339/alternate-npc-and-pc-portraits-because-im-bored-while-waiting-for-more-patches-to-come-out-p#latest

It's here from September 2012 and many portraits have been done in BG style: you should post a photo there!
  • FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125
    Mike Sass did the 'amazing' BG2 portraits. He gets a look and feel which is unbelievably 'unique'.

His other works can be found at his website. He's probably expensive to hire. If I had the money, I'd ask him to do a ton more BG portraits. :)

http://www.sassart.com/
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    edited June 2013
    Indeed Sass is an excellent artist. I have been trying to paint the BG2 style of portraits to the best of my ability but it is always difficult to replicate somebody else's style.

Check here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19032/exii-baldurs-gate-portrait-pack-1#latest for some of my attempts. I am generally pleased with the results.

If you'd like to know how I did them, I have a process saved in sections. It'll be a pain to upload but I wouldn't mind if people wanted to see.
  • FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125
    I would like to know your process. I've had a look at your work, and it's very impressive!

I got in touch with Mike Sass, who said, quote: "maybe I will do some for BG2 Enhanced if they pay me :)"

I get the feeling that the budget and/or necessity for Mike Sass commissioned Enhanced BG2 portraits isn't there. I can hope though. ;)
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    @Flashheart - i'll see what I can do. Will let you know when I manage to get it on here =)