Skip to content

Looking for Help with NPC Mod (proofreading, portrait, testing, feedback)

Hi!

A long time ago I started working on my first ever creative project: NPC for BG2 named Ray. By 'first ever creative project' I mean that I had no experience in modding or creating any game content before. There have been a lot lengthy hiatuses but I finally reached the stage where I require external help to continue.

So here is a draft description that I am gonna publish my NPC with:

When you ask Ray about his past he listlessly gazes at you and states that he is a son of a prominent merchant from Waterdeep; an heir who has found satisfaction not in family business but in assassin's trade. He solemnly adds that, supposedly, only killing keeps him entertained but he can keep such grim desires at bay. At such note the conversation usually ends as the indifference for the topic is tangible in every movement of Ray's lean figure.

This mod adds Ray NPC, a human neutral evil assassin. Ray is a ruthless, selfish and cynical person with a warped worldview and passion for challenges and violence. He will express utter disdain towards selfless or compassionate actions that do not bring immediate benefit but otherwise will mind his own business. As a protagonist you will help him with series of assassination that will eventually unravel his story. These assassinations include a gruesome, truly evil act near the end that you might partake in or prevent.
Ray will approach you near the Copper Coronet's entrance in chapter 2 after which he will be recruitable in Crooked Crane Inn near the gates.
Features:
  • NPC for BG2EE (SoA only).
  • Banters with original Bioware and Beamdog NPCs.
  • Interjections and comments.
  • Several Ray-initiated dialogues with the player.
  • Player-initiated dialog tree where you can learn about Ray's background and discuss some events that happen during the game.
  • Opinion mechanic: during dialogues with Ray, your reply choices will change Ray's opinion of you. This opinion affects mostly how much Ray is willing to talk about himself.
  • Questline stretching from chapter 2 to chapter 6. Quests are small and hopefully non-intrusive, built into existing locations.
  • Several items. Most of them are designed to improve Ray (or thief in general) viability in combat.
  • Several combat encounters. Most are easy but the final encounter should provide medium challenge.
  • 'Friendship' path: support Ray's evil tendencies or try to sway him to the path of goodness. The latter is hard to achieve and requires deliberate choices.
  • Custom portrait by ?

I think it lists all main attractions of the mod quite well but If you want to learn more or specifics, just ask, I will gladly answer!

Anyway, I would be extremely grateful for the help with:
  • Copy editing (proofreading). This is the main hurdle. I am not a native English speaker so there will probably be a lot of editing to do. There are about 55000 words.
  • Portrait. I am not an artist so there are no sketches or anything. I can provide only rather generic descriptions so you are free to follow your vision and inspiration.
  • Item arts. There are 10 new items. Again I will provide only in-game item descriptions. You are free to follow your vision.
  • Testing. I have tested the modification myself and hope It will work fine in most cases on a vanilla BG2EE but, obviously, extra testers are welcomed.
  • Voicing. Only the action lines will be voiced. I am planning on doing it myself but If you want to try yourself as a cynic assassin you are welcome to try!
  • Any feedback or advice on content, modding or organisational aspects.

Comments

• sufflaminandussufflaminandus Member Posts: 8
    Hi, still looking. I would appreciate any advice or guidance on where to go or whom to ask for help or how to proceed. Even basic "go to this site" would be cool.

I understand that for portrait I can go to some freelancer board or something, I guess, but I wanted to check here first because BG/Fantasy-RPG enthusiast would most likely be better (and free :sweat_smile:). Also there are many NPCs mods with custom portraits, how did *you* go about acquiring portrait for your character? Please, tell me your story.

Anyway, portrait is secondary, if worse comes to worst, a v1 Ray can be faceless but what I cannot skip is copy editing because I feel very strongly that my text should be checked by someone other than myself even for a v1. Unfortunately, I haven't got a clue where or how can I find such a person.

Sorry, I ask a lot. I cannot provide monetary compensation for technical reasons but I can help out with your work in return if you undertake copy editing or drawing for Ray NPC.

• GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    I dunno how I overlooked this post first, but I guess I can do proofreading and reviewing in general. My time is kinda limited for explicit testing (especially considering that I attempt EET megamod runs these days and just report issues on the go) and I'm definitely not the best voiceactor around, but I guess I can do a few frankeinstein asset (recolor)s to cover the items in general. I'd also suggest to use an NWN portrait as a placeholder until better comes. I am approachable in the IE and the G3 discord during GMT+1 late afternoons.
  • sufflaminandussufflaminandus Member Posts: 8
    @GraionDilach Thank you very much for taking your time. I sent you friend request on discord, my nickname is Ziggy Stardust there. I can talk/write any time that is convenient for you but only between 04:00 - 19:00 GMT+1 (cause my timezone is +7).