Skip to content

Character creation for Birthright of the North

chevalierchevalier Member Posts: 51
Here's the module's page on NWVault; it's a work of the same author as the Wyvern Crown of Cormyr (yay!):

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/birthright-north

I would normally play with a paladin, but in the readme file, the author suggests picking up at least 1 level in Search, Disable Trap and Open Lock by the time you reach level 4. Needing these skills is, of course, nothing new, but needing them on the protagonist is a bit of a different thing.

Though the protagonist's lineage is grander, the beginning of the module puts him on a farm, Skywalker-style and akin to Henry in Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

It's unlikely for the hero to be something like a paladin in training, or even fighter — not likely to have received formal training in weapons and arms use.

Rogue would be more accessible, but then one would have to be conscious of having spent a lot of time at least fooling around with traps, hidden treasures and locked doors if not being actively tutored by someone more experienced in that line of life.

So I'm not sure casting the protagonist as a level 1 rogue would be much more plausible on my part than a level 1 paladin.

So then there's ranger — perhaps something the most natural for a farm boy to develop some 'substantive' skill in without too much 'formal' dedication to a specified class? After all, a relatively well-to-do mediaeval peasant, a freehold farmer, living at the edge of a forest amid his own land and not in a tight cluster of serf huts, would probably naturally end up picking some forest skills and skills generally relatable to being 'one with the land'. Attentive sight and hearing, some ability to discern anomalies or look for missing objects, some animal empathy, some skill with the bow, perhaps a couple of weeks' worth of training with the village militia or some uncle, friend or neighbour when mum wasn't watching. That could perhaps add up to a low-key 'spontaneous' level 1 ranger, at least more plausibly than we could have a fighter or paladin in the same circumstances of life, or a level 1 rogue without being conscious

Alternatively, one could just regard the young village boy's starting class as more of an anticipation than an existing thing, or even something that he would consciously decide on at a later time but needs to already have it from the start of the game for technical reasons, as you can't start without a class or with an NPC class like Commoner. In this case paladin would be plausible given the character's (initially hidden) true background. But then I'd need to throw in some rogue skills at a later time, and my last character across a bunch of other modules was a paladin/ranger/HS, which I enjoyed but don't really feel like repeating. Adding rogue levels at a later time would be a waste compared to starting as one at level 1, for all the bonus points. So if you want just one level of rogue (and the same would apply to ranger, incidentally), you'd better take it at level 1. Which takes us back to the beginning. Sigh.

Comments

• IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    When in doubt, I like to start as a rogue, for both mechanical reasons and because it actually seems the closest approximation to a commoner class, thanks to the higher number of skill points to spend. You can always RP points in locks, traps etc as simply standing in for a general experience with handiwork (carpentry, hunting etc.) one would pick up following a commoner profession.