Skip to content

Cursor duplication and barbarian hide in shadows bugs

ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
edited December 2012 in Fixed
This discussion was created from comments split from: *** READ BEFORE POSTING: Master technical FAQ ***.
Post edited by Avenger_teambg on

Comments

• DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    edited December 2012
    Ok, so, mostly, its running great, Ive two issues at the moment though. Small as they are.

Issue One :- image

So, if you can make out the text box, you'll see that my Half-Orc Barbarian is attempting to hide in shadows. Seemed to auto-start as soon as I had killed the second assassin in the southern building (candlekeep), before the monk comes in to check on me. Now as far as I was aware, Barbarians had no rogue skills.

EDIT:- See post below, possible fix/explanation.

Issue Two - image

Pretty obvious this one.

EDIT: - Solved with new patch 1.0.2008. Options/Graphics/Hardware Mouse - De-selecting should resolve the issue.

Sys Specs:
    Win XP 64, Athlon 64 x2 6000;
    ATI HD6700, using Catalyst 12.8 (I believe its .8, just updated around an hour ago, so the most recent for card and OS)
    4Gb DDR2 on Asus m3a76-cm (latest bios, older Sys Drivers, maybe 6 months old)
    On MB VIA HD sound (sorry, cant find the specifics there),

No rush from my side here gents, take your time. Like I said, these are minor teething troubles for me and dont impact on the game so far, which is looking sweet by the way. Thanks. :)
    Post edited by DecrepitDragon on
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited November 2012
    @DecrepitDragon I split your post from the FAQ. New issues should be posted as new threads, the FAQ is for solutions. Thank you.
    edited November 2012
    @Zeckul - Sorry bout that. Thanks mate.

Also, I may have a possible solution for the hide in shadows. It seems to be Script related.

My Barb was originally on "Fighter, Defensive" as a Bio Script, and every time he left dialogue or stood for a moment ( tested and easily duplicated ), he'd fail to hide in shadows ( which he cant do anyway ).

I've just changed it to the Standard Attack, and it seems to have stopped.

Can anyone else test this out and try to re-produce/confirm? Thanks
  • HoiusHoius Member Posts: 27
    Hi, I have the absolute same bugs. My paladin's AI script was also set at "Fighter, Defensive" when the "Hide in shadows" bug appeared. I also have the graphical bug as seen in the screenshot for Issue two. My graphics card is ATI Radeon HD5570, my OS - Windows XP SP3. The bugs aren't serious, but they are pretty annoying - currently I've turned the party AI off so that the game doesn't display a "Hide in shadows failed" message every 20-30 seconds.
    @Hoius -can you try turning on your AI and changing your Pali's script to anything else for a few seconds? That seemed to fix it for me - if we can reproduce that with you then we'll know that its script related and have, at least a work around for now. Thanks.
    @DecrepitDragon - I tried what you suggested and more. I'll use the shorter names of the scripts here (instead of "Fighter, Defensive" - "fighter2"), bedause they are too long otherwise.
    First of all, when I turned back ON the party AI, my characters' AI scripts were as follows:

my paladin, Khalid and Jaheira - fighter2
    Imoen - thief4
    Neera - mage3

Result: Funny thing is that when I turned the AI on, not only the characters with "fighter2" script displayed the bug, but also Imoen, who has a "thef4" script. Neera didn't have the bug.

After that, I changed the scripts to "agen" (Standart attack) for all characters except Neera. Hers I changed to "mage2" so I can see if she will display the bug with a different script. So:

my paladin, Imoen, Khalid and Jaheira - agen
    Neera - mage2

Result: NONE of the characters displayed the bug.

Finally, I wanted to see if other scripts were buggy,
    I tried with "fighter1" on the paladin - no bug.
    "thief2" on Imoen - no bug. "thief1" however - bug.
    "mage1" on Neera - no bug.

As a result, I can say for sure the problem is not only in the "fighter2" script, because Imoen who had onlye "thief" scripts also displayed the bug.
    I can say for sure that Neera was OK with "mage1", "mage2" and "mage3" (at least she didn't display THAT particular bug).

I hope this info helps :)
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Moving this to Bugs - BGEE.
    UPDATE

I tried all of the following scripts - Standard Attack, Passive, Ranged and Cautios. They are OK and don't display the bug.
    @Hoius - Thats some great testing there friend. I must confess I was only expecting individual perspectives if any came at all. To see someone test thoroughly, and re-post is excellent.

On to the details then, It seems like we can pick out one or two scripts that have this bug now, and with differing class scripts too. I'll run some tests myself to see if class changes results.

Also, not sure the "thief 1" script is bugged - its main action is to Hide in Shadows when no enemies are present, so its possible that what you saw was actually supposed to happen. :)
    edited November 2012
    @DecrepitDragon - Well, my mistake then, I didn't read the "thief1" description carefully enough. I'm sure about "theif4" though, because back when I played the original BG1 & 2 that was the script I always used for Imoen and she didn't hide in shadows unless commanded. I wonder if the scripts I didn't test will display the bug - I'll try testing them in the morning. I hope we get enough info about the bug, so that it's fixed as soon as possible and BGEE is 1 step closer to the perfect BG experience we all want :)
    edited December 2012
    @Hoius - No worries mate. Catch you later, and thanks again. :)

On to my test results:

Firstly, I concur with @Hoius, that the main default scripts ( APAS, etc ), including "none" are bug free, as far as I can test them.

Secondly, both the Mage and Cleric script sets, all four in both classes, appear to be fine also.

So, the original "fighter2" script is bugged - it should not induce a Hide in Shadows attempt at all.
    Also, the "thief2" script seems to be buggy:

Thief2 - Expected - When at 50% HP or less, flee and hide.
    Thief2 - Actual - When at 50% and less, does not seem to flee, does attempt to Hide but immediately leaves shadows after succesfully Hiding in Shadows Then Leaves shadows multiple times over the course of a round before next Hide success, then cycle repeats.

Also, as Hoius hinted at, two other thief scripts may be bugged. Here are the issues:

Thief3 - Automatically Detects Traps. This may be intentional, but the script text mentions nothing about using the skill.

Thief4 - Atempts to hide in Shadows. Again, this may be intentional, but the script text does not mention skill use.

Anyone else experiencing these possible bugs?
    Apologies for the double post, but a little update was necesary:

After the application of the recent patch, using the Options/Graphics menu, de-select the hardware mouse option, and the artifacting is solved. Smashin' :)
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    I don't see any hide in shadows actions in fighter2 script. Probably this is fixed or will be fixed in next patch.