Skip to content

Game doesn't start...

HurezHurez Member Posts: 6
edited November 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
Hi,

Looking through the forums, I see a lot of people are experiencing the same problems I am. Downloaded the game last night, tried to launch, failed. I ran it as administrator and it started up fine... but without sound. I tinkered with it for a while, and found that if I ran it in windowed mode, the sound was fine. So I ran in it windowed mode and then switched back to fullscreen mode, and the sound remained.

This afternoon, I tried to run BG from the launcher, it crashed. What? it was working fine yesterday... Trued administrator again, compatibility mode, Baldur.exe in the data folder or whatever.... I lurked these forums looking for answers, tried various solutions (even the iTunes one), nothing seems to work.

Any other suggestions? Any estimates on how soon a hotfix will arrive? All I can say is I'm extremely disappointed with this release, if there isn't a plausible solution within the next few days, I'm requesting my money back.

Comments

• HurezHurez Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2012
    Tried installing the Beamdog client and running it from there, no luck. Now I don't even receive an error message, it simply does not run. Installing OpenAL also seems to have done nothing. I've been following all the troubleshooting posted on the FAQs and stickies. More suggestions would be welcome.

Edit: Interestingly though, when I look at the task manager, it says under processes that I'm running Baldur.exe*32
    Edit 2: Nevermind, it's gone back to giving me the error message. For those curious, here are the error details:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: baldur.exe
    Application Version: 0.1.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 50b66b64
    Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17725
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec49b8f
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00033ab3
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 4105
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

edited December 2012
    Triple posting here, Sorry.

So I've managed to get the game running... administrator mode + Vista SP1
    ...and now it no longer works.

What's going on?

Edit: Nevermind, if I run it from Baldur.exe it works fine. Now question... the screen tearing is absolutely terrible, is there a way to fix this?
    Looks like I'm talking to myself here.

The game has gone back to being unable to run. I don't even receive an error message anymore.
    I find that if I flip-flop between compatibility modes (XP SP2 and VISTA SP1) I can OCCASIONALLY get it to run.

The task manager indicates that even when the game doesn't seem to run, BGEE.exe and Baldur.exe are running under processes.

The game was released on the 28th, it's now the 2nd of December. How much longer do we have to wait for a hotfix? At what point should I be able to claim "I've waited long enough" and ask for a full refund? I want to support this project, I really do, but this has turned out to be more trouble than it's worth.

At least my GOG copy of BG The Original Saga runs perfectly well (and it's $10 cheaper).
  • TyxerTyxer Member Posts: 10
    Same issue as the other threads are addressing.
  • Mmmhm, I've been trying fixes since the games release, and have yet to get in. Occasionally I'll get a white and black screen but that won't last for long. I still have hope a fix will come out, but I'm getting pretty disappointed...