Skip to content

Iron Skins Spell Incorrect Casting Time

The_CheesemanThe_Cheeseman Member Posts: 175
edited December 2012 in Not An Issue
Current Behavior:
The level 5 priest (druid) spell, "Iron Skins" has a casting time of 1 round.

Expected Behavior:
The spell's casting time is supposed to be "1", not "1 round", according to the AD&D 2nd Edition sourcebook, "Dragon Kings" (p. 121). The description of the spell in the original version of the game was incorrectly listed as "1 round", even though the spell itself had the proper casting time of "1". The description should have been changed to match the original casting time, not vice-versa.
Post edited by Avenger_teambg on

Comments

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Dragon kings is for the dark sun setting, right?
    I don't feel like i have the authority to just change this, when description and spell data are matching.
    Maybe @CamDawg knows what's going on here.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    BGEE is not PnP, so source books means jack.

In cases of conflict we generally rely on the description. Spell description says casting time is one round, BG2 manual says casting time is one round, so the spell was changed to have a casting time of one round. It never had a casting time of 1.
  • The_CheesemanThe_Cheeseman Member Posts: 175
    Well, even if the original source material isn't strong enough evidence, the fact that the spell is mechanically identical to the wizard spell Stoneskin except for casting time also seems to imply that the error was in the description. But I suppose it's easy enough to correct via mods.
  • omniliciousomnilicious Member Posts: 20
    CamDawg said:

BGEE is not PnP, so source books means jack.

The game is designed from the ground up to be as close as possible a representation of the source material. Not sure how you can say they 'don't mean jack', when changes to source material are usually because of engine limitations or implementation breaks the game. (Not the case here).
    CamDawg said:

In cases of conflict we generally rely on the description. Spell description says casting time is one round, BG2 manual says casting time is one round, so the spell was changed to have a casting time of one round. It never had a casting time of 1.

My original copy of BG2 the spell is as fast as stoneskin, it's wizard equivalent. It's casting time was definitely 1. It's more likely the programmers made a mistake with the description than the actual casting time.