Skip to content

Merchant question?

Now it's been a few years since I last played BG1 (2006 maybe? - Just before NWN2 came out) but I seem to recall that Winthrop would buy almost anything you offered him with the possible exception of potions. Now it seems he hardly buys any of the articles a crafty rogue might pick up around Candlekeep except weapons - specifically there was not a soul in Candlekeep interested in purchasing any scrolls...

My question is: Is this a bug or a feature?

I'm guessing it's a feature and off the top of my head I'm pretty sure I'm not crazy about it and I hope this has not been carried on to all merchants mostly becuase inventory management is already a bit strained in BG1 between slot availability and weight limits so I'm not sure why anyone thought it was necessary to restrict merchants (thus making it harder to turn loot into cash - that thankfully has no weight and takes up no space).

Comments

• DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    He still buys gems, like the star sapphire. IIRC, he never purchased the potion of clarity or the ID scroll.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    You can sell scrolls (like the uses Infravision one) at the Friendly Arm Inn for a start
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Interesting - I didn't recall him not buying scrolls before but then at 65 my memory chips are pretty flakey - I can remember vividly events that occured when I was 5 but not why I walked across the room LOL...

Of course I have been through a lot of doorways since I last played - perhaps thats the reason...

http://www.savistamagazine.com/news/can-doors-cause-memory-loss- ;-)