Skip to content

Launcher Issues

chilimannenchilimannen Member Posts: 6
edited November 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
Hello,

I have an issue with BOTH of the launchers.. The first version of the baldurs gate preloader worked just fine without any hassle, same with the version of beamdog client as of preloading. Attempting to execute any of these clients after updating them, yields me "x has stopped working". Uninstalling the clients and reinstalling them from older version installers works fine, reusing the old downloaded files.

However, I do not wish to resort using outdated clients in the fear of missing out on patches.

- Running Windows 7, no service pack.
- Latest Drivers.
- OpenAL
- linked c++ pack in forums.
- compatibility modes

The game runs fine, launched from bgee.exe.

TL;DR Client updates broke both launchers...

------------- UPDATE --------------

There seems to be a case of hardcoded paths in the updating process..

I assigned one of my USB drives to C:, (boot drive E:\), installed the BGEE installer/downloader onto the usb,
ran it, installed one patch, installed another patch, all worked fine.

Download status files have no effect in this particular case.

Tried to change boot drive letter, suceeeded after altering registry entries.. however
patching is due since the change invalidated lots of paths/strings, i managed to get
it into a working boot state, however creating users suceeded, their profiles where not
accepted at the new drive letter and temporary files where created every logon..
To top it all of, my windows went ingenuine after changing drive letter.. Swapping
it back fixed this.

TL;DR Assuming you're running windows install on another letter than C:\, open disk management Control Panel-> Administrative Tools grab some external storage plug it in, assign letter C:\, create folder "Program Files (x86)" at root, in this folder create folder "Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition", run the BGEE installer and point it to the last folder you created. Updates will now work.
Post edited by chilimannen on

Comments

• TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    Uhhmm, what problem are you trying to solve?
    If there is a bug with the launcher we can fix it, the whole idea of the launcher is to fix the
    PC problems of having to copy files to the four winds and re-map stuff.

-Trent
  • chilimannenchilimannen Member Posts: 6
    When theres a new version available in the launcher, it prompts at startup to retrieve it. Proceeding with updating causes the client to crash instantly, which also breaks the installation of the client. Attempting to run the launcher after this will result in a windows error message, "x has stopped working". Reinstalling the client and choosing to not retrieve updates circumvents this.

I figured this will only occur when the client attempts to update itself from another drive than C:\.
  • maplejarmaplejar Member Posts: 23
    edited November 2012
    I have this problem as well. My boot drive is C (SSD drive), but the game is installed on my E (non-SSD) drive. When the launcher tried to update itself, it crashed with the "Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Launcher has stopped working" error. It keeps happening even if I delete it and reinstall it. I can still start the game fine with the baldur.exe file in the "00766" folder, but I'm obviously going to miss out on patches if this issue with the launcher isn't fixed.

Update: I backed up my data directory, and uninstalled the game from my E drive and installed it on my C drive. The same problem happens when the launcher tries to update itself. Here are the "problem details":

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: BGEE.exe
    Application Version: 0.2.3.0
    Application Timestamp: 50a71028
    Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17932
    Fault Module Timestamp: 503285c2
    Exception Code: e0434f4d
    Exception Offset: 000000000000caed
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033