Skip to content

MINTBERRYCRUNCHMINTBERRYCRUNCH Member Posts: 3
edited November 2012 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.2)
When I run into the flaming fist guard in the map below beregost, I am unable to talk my way out of fighting him and as soon as I kill him, I lose 6 reputation.
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited November 2012
    Hey there,

In the original game, after starting a new game, I go upstairs of the Candlekeep Inn.
    I force-open a drawer so that the gards are summoned by the noble in front of the drawer.

I kill the guard to have access to his plate armor.

Much to my surprise to see that when I killed him, I did not loose reputation points for killing him !

Expected behavior : as in the original game, loose reputation after the killing !
    Post edited by Balquo on
  • AlderonAlderon Member Posts: 53
    This isn't a bug, it's part of the game. Use common sense in your responses, you can avoid fighting him. The reputation loss is because he is a (misguided perhaps) innocent and does not deserve to be killed.
  • MINTBERRYCRUNCHMINTBERRYCRUNCH Member Posts: 3
    Nope, the original you did not lose reputation from killing him. Also i am unable to talk my way out of fighting him.
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    The best part is that we have BG II donation tables, where the BG I was way cheaper.
    indeed. I just decided to walk around the flaming fist guard. Still.. hopefully it doesn't happen somewhere else in the game.
  • xxxsmb1987xxxxxxsmb1987xxx Member Posts: 280
    edited November 2012
    Hello all im new at the bug reporting thing so please bear with me =)

Current behavior: Currently when you enter the flaming fist headquarters during the quest to save Duke Elton (in chapter 7) the guards that you kill inside the headquarters cause you to lose substancial amounts of reputation. In my case because of this I lost around 18 reputation due to this bug. This also leaves you in the position where additional guards appear and the quest cannot be completed.

Expected behavior: Instead there should be no reputation lost, as was the case in the original Baldur's Gate.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2012
    Write your post like this maybe.

Current behavior: Currently when you enter the flaming fist headquarters during the quest to save Duke Elton (in chapter 7) the guards that you kill inside the headquarters cause you to lose substancial amounts of reputation. In my case because of this I lost around 18 reputation due to this bug. This also leaves you in the position where additional guards appear and the quest cannot be completed.

Expected behavior: Instead there should be no reputation lost, as was the case in the original Baldur's Gate.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    The developers are aware of this problem.

Not much that you can do at the moment besides try to sneak through the area unfortunately.
    lol do you mind if I just copy yours into mine and give you the credit lol =P
    edited November 2012
    Tanthalas said:

The developers are aware of this problem.

Not much that you can do at the moment besides try to sneak through the area unfortunately.

Or alternatively you could always just hack and slash your way to fortune. Wohooo. Though I suppose Elton would be hostile to you then...hmm.
    @Tanthalas TY U can delete this then since it is already known I have already fought Sarevok at the corenation so ill just skip this quest then until its fixed thanks for replying =)

@elminster thx again for your input into this =)

lol do you mind if I just copy yours into mine and give you the credit lol =P

Thats fine I don't even need credit.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Nah, other people are bound to get this problem too, so I'll leave this here.
    You get it anyways =)
    @MINTBERRYCRUNCH it happens when u return to the Flamming Fist HQ I made a post on it They know about it and are working on a fix for it I was able to bypass the Flamming fist HQ altogether and will return when its fixed. So please beware you will take a massive reputation hit for killing the guy inside.
    edited November 2012
    I made a spelling mistake. Its actually "Duke Eltan" not "Elton".
    Ok Thanks.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    When coming back to the Flaming Fist castle, after going to Candlekeep, in order to recover the poisoned duke, in the Vanilla game, you had to kill some flaming fists before talking to Kent in order to recover the duke.
    Killing them now = loss of reputation.

Expected behaviour : These ennemies can be killed without losing reputation.
  • KhazKhaz Member Posts: 2
    In the prologue when seen stealing and the watchers appear i am able to kill them with impunity.

Expected Behavior: Witnesses become hostile and party's reputation should decrease ( by 4 points i believe)

Current Behavior: Upon watchers death there is no reputation loss. Only the watchers summoned in response to acts of larceny will turn hostile after dialog, witnesses will remain non hostile, though will often leave the immediate area (go down the stairs or exit via nearest doorway).

I was able to grind watchers in and near the barracks and leave Candlekeep at level 4 i assume there is no limit to how much exp is available till you reach the cap. This bug is obviously dependent the user whether they wish to abuse it or not, however as far as I understand it this is not as intended (as it was in Bg1 pre EE).

• Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    Other NPCs not going hostile but fleeing is intended. (a civilian should not try to fight a heavily armed man)

However the watchers should definitely not be allowed to kill without penalty.
    Fair enough on the civilians, however this includes people like the gate-warden and Fuller (named watcher location Candlekeep barracks) I would expect a response from either of these npcs.
    (however if you block the exit Fuller will take a swing at you but remain non hostile)
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    edited December 2012
    It seems this has been changed so that even if you surrender and the Fist decides to kill you instead of taking you in - you still take a -7 hit to reputation (which takes away your ranger status) if you defend yourself and kill him.

Is this a bug or a feature?

If it's a feature perhaps someone can explain why??

(In the original there was no hit to rep if the Fist attacked you without provocation - as it should be IMO)
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    No I think its always been like that after a patch. I hate it though, that guy is a total A-hole.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    Bug - It will be changed back.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    That guy never attacked me. Why do you need to surrender?
    edited December 2012
    You have an option to surrender and drop your weapons when he first speaks to you - when you do so he says something to the effect of well no need to take these boys in we will just kill them and he attacks.

In the past you were allowed to defend yourself from him without losing rep (since he was obviously wrong to just kill a group that surrendered peacefully when they were accused of being bandits)

(and killing him provided you with a nice set of plate armor) ;-)
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Well, admitting you are a bandit should taint your reputation a bit :D
    But i don't want to defend this change, if people want a nice set of flaming fist plate armor without rep loss, so be it :D
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    Thing is though... the devs had nothing to do with this change... ahem...

Well, admitting you are a bandit should taint your reputation a bit :D
    But i don't want to defend this change, if people want a nice set of flaming fist plate armor without rep loss, so be it :D

I never really saw it as admitting we were bandits - more like a smart alec way of saying take me in if you wish and further investigation should prove my innocence - ( if I was a bandit would I offer to lay down my arms when we have you outnumbered 6 to 1?)

meanwhile we get a nice warm cell to sleep in - a nice change from the rough damp ground and all and I hear the gruel in Beregost is like ambrosia - I forget who told me that... ;-)