Skip to content

What stats for a Blackguard?

Hey guys,

I haven't played BG for a very very very long time and I wanna give the Blackguard a go, is there any tips you can give me, like the starting stats I should aim for?

Thanks

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    General power gamer Fighter stats with a bit more emphasis on Wis and Cha.

18/xx STR
    18 DEX
    18 CON
    10 ish INT
    14 WIS
    18 CHA

You could shave some points off of CHA, INT and maybe WIS - not sure of the impact f a low wisdom score once spells start to be accrued.
  • MurrayConfederacyMurrayConfederacy Member Posts: 188
    @Fatal I think you might have the wrong portrait sizes there :)
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Wis does NOTHING. And neither does charisma for that matter...Once you've got your actual important stats (str/dex/con/11+ int for later in the sequel), you can put the remainder, where ever you feel like.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    What about Weapon Proficiencies for a Blackguard? I grabbed dual wielding, longswords, and axes at the start since I have time to grab 2h swords and 2h style before the holy sword in BG2.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    decado said:

General power gamer Fighter stats with a bit more emphasis on Wis and Cha.

18/xx STR
    18 DEX
    18 CON
    10 ish INT
    14 WIS
    18 CHA

You could shave some points off of CHA, INT and maybe WIS - not sure of the impact f a low wisdom score once spells start to be accrued.

Whoa, 96 stat roll is quite something to go for. Anyway yes, those stats are certainly what you would want to shoot for. Except Wisdom you may as well put to the lowest, I believe 13, because it has zero effect on your Clerical spells that you gain. On general principle I also make Charisma an 18 because you already have to put it at 17 anyway, soooo...

Wis does NOTHING. And neither does charisma for that matter...Once you've got your actual important stats (str/dex/con/11+ int for later in the sequel), you can put the remainder, where ever you feel like.

Lmao, Charisma does nothing? You are quite wrong I'm sorry.
    edited December 2012
    It does NOTHING. I've checked..they have no abilities at all effected by charisma, making it a wasted stat just like everyone else vs pumping int in prep for the sequel to combat mind flayers. ooh I can get a 10% discount for wasting 8 stat points on another-wise useless stat (that any mage or better yet bard in the party could easily done). Or oooh, I can get a free +1 dagger, 500 more gold, 250 more xp, 500 xp and 5 potions of health if I waste 8 points on charisma for 5 quests that I could just stick another party member in the lead for (except for the dagger of course). Ooh, if I waste 8 points in a useless stat I can bring minsc/dynheir/edwin, Sharteel and eldoth, Khalid/jaheria and monteron/xzar in a party together and they won't try to kill each other for a little bit longer. (charisma has no effect on party member morale, it's based on individual damage taken compared to total health, overall damage taken by the party, and fatigue (which means it's ultimately based on the constitution of the party member since high con means slower fatigue accrual.)

That's it. Minsc and Kivan are based on your party rep not charisma, and Shar-teel only requires you have A male character in the party (unless it only requires 10 charisma (which I never go higher then unless a class makes me), which makes the whole point moot).
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
  • FatalFatal Member Posts: 54
    edited December 2012
    http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj307/elitespriggen101/Baldr003.png

Updated my Blackguard. A lot happier with these stats I rolled.

@Fatal I think you might have the wrong portrait sizes there :)

Fixed =P
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    edited December 2012
    @ZanathKariashi: You need charisma 9 or better to recruit Kivan, regardless of your reputation. I think. Maybe they changed it. But I know it's charisma based, not reputation based.

@Synite: It's pretty difficult to roll the insane rolls you need to max all your physical stats on a paladin because of the insanely high wisdom and charisma scores. Less stats you can dip into.

I'd recommend at least 16s in all the main stats. You can make due with that. Alternatively, you could dump either dexterity or constitution down to 9 so you'd not gain any benefits from them but max the other two physical stats. There's ways to "fix" your strength and dexterity through gear, but know that relying on those yourself means you can't for your NPCs.

But, yeah, I can't think of a single time ever I've had a paladin with more than 13 wisdom and 17 charisma. Ever. He/she usually only has 3 INT either, because intelligence is a fairly useless stat. Only creatures it helps against you shouldn't engage in melee ever anyway.
    Well...pretty sure it's based on rep (though I never go 10 on any stat, so it might also be a component). Neither Kivan or Minsc will join a party with less then 10 rep (or at least they don't in the original, not sure how tutu handled it as i disliked how it messed a lot of stuff up (spawns especially), and I'm still picking around in the new version to see whats what.)
  • XiterroseXiterrose Member Posts: 2
    You can get better rewards from some quests based on Charisma.
    Already listed those (missed Hull's quest, which gives 20 more gold), there's only 6 and it requires 18+....not really worth it in the long run.
  • seloneselone Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    My Blackguard started at 18/91 STR, Dex 18, Con 18, Wis 9, Int 9, CHA 18. Pretty happy with that if I am honest :)