Skip to content

Post Ship Feature - Place to sell stolen items

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
edited December 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
In the original Baldur's Gate there was no place to sell items stolen from merchants (by this I mean items stolen from out of their inventories). Though this was never changed in the original game, as we all know there were merchants who would accept stolen goods in Baldur's Gate 2.

What I request is the following; preferably as part of a post-release patch. Black Lily in the thieves guild in Baldur's Gate (the city) should be edited so that she will accept stolen goods (she doesn't at the moment which I think is ridiculous).

Edit: I previously proposed having someone in Beregost as well you could sell to, just to make it so you'd have someone before chapter 5, but at this point I'll just take Black Lily being able to buy stolen goods from me.
Post edited by elminster on
Jalilycolonel_burgerDragonspearThe_New_RomanceNorthcottBurfiakSwordsNotWords[Deleted User]

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    The only other request I would have pertaining to this would be to expand upon the number of people you can steal from. As it stands now you aren't even given the option to try to steal from the inventories of either Thalantyr or Taerom Fuiruim (Beregost smithy). You weren't given the option in the original Baldur's Gate either. While I can certainly see why it should be very difficult to steal from them, you should (at least in my opinion) still have the opportunity to try.
    Abel
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    There are some good oppotunities to steal from people however. A lot of quest givers can have their rewards pickpocketed.
    elminster
    Yea, idk. Its just not the same. At the very least it would be nice if Black Lily could buy stolen goods. Even if it was only after you earn the trust of the guild.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    +1 make black Lilly a fence.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Adding more support for a fence that will buy stolen goods. With all the problems the sword coast has with the Iron Crisis, I'm surprised the black market for goods isn't booming.
    Burfiak
    edited December 2012

Adding more support for a fence that will buy stolen goods. With all the problems the sword coast has with the Iron Crisis, I'm surprised the black market for goods isn't booming.

Maybe it secretly is, its just so secret charname can't even learn about it :p
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Definitely agree more stores should be stealable. It would be coherent with BG2 where most stores are.
    Sigh...I'm this close to beating the game but I've still kept all of my precious stolen goodies out of principle. If I can't sell them, then no one can have them. :D

I'm going to check to see if I can use NI to make Black Lily accept them, though I doubt it is possible.
    edited December 2012
    Interesting enough she is one of the people who has their own dialogue/statement they use if charmed.
    edited December 2012
    Yea no luck. I even tried looking at merchants you can steal from in BG2 to see if they have a special script or something, and nothing I saw or tested seemed to let me get her to accept the items.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    This may help. I use shadowkeeper on Roger the Fence (merchant in BG2 Athlaka Temple sewers). He carries a suspicious item "no item" (Resource=RNDTRE04) in his inventory.
    elminster
    bbear said:

This may help. I use shadowkeeper on Roger the Fence (merchant in BG2 Athlaka Temple sewers). He carries a suspicious item "no item" (Resource=RNDTRE04) in his inventory.

Thanks I'll check it out.
    bbear said:

I think that might just mean a random item
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    OK...figured it out.

In Near Infinity, they shops are in the .sto files. You set what they'll buy, services and crap there.

The npc has no baring on their shop, their dialog is merely how you open the shop itself.

You can set shops to be stealable, and you can flag them as fences (Unknown (12)). You can also add new items to stock, change their base theft chance, etc etc...

pretty neat..I'll have to play around with it.

Once you changed things to your liking (with or without saving), you can export the .sto file and put it in the override folder. It may or may not work with a previously saved game...not sure yet...
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
    elminsterSwordsNotWordsbbear

OK...figured it out.

In Near Infinity, they shops are in the .sto files. You set what they'll buy, services and crap there.

The npc has no baring on their shop, their dialog is merely how you open the shop itself.

You can set shops to be stealable, and you can flag them as fences (Unknown (12)). You can also add new items to stock, change their base theft chance, etc etc...

pretty neat..I'll have to play around with it.

Once you changed things to your liking (with or without saving), you can export the .sto file and put it in the override folder. It may or may not work with a previously saved game...not sure yet...

Great thanks :D
    Yea tried it on Black Lily and it at least won't work with previously saved games.
  • BurfiakBurfiak Member Posts: 32
    Can someone make a request for this to the devs?
    edited December 2012
    well...I've got Winthorp, and Fieldpost inn to allow stealing and fencing. So it does work....but this is a new character.

Yeah, you have to start a new game for it to work.
    Its good to know it works at least.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

well...I've got Winthorp, and Fieldpost inn to allow stealing and fencing. So it does work....but this is a new character.

Yeah, you have to start a new game for it to work.

You can also use Near Infinity to decompress baldur.sav, edit any store files that are in there, recompress the files, then save the edited game. Setting the "fence" or "can steal" flags should be fairly straightforward.

I usually edit Black Lily and Silence to be fences but I can never justify editing any other stores to have that feature.

Yeah, I was just setting it see if it worked. Though that guy at the edge of Durlag's Tower's area seems a little shady, so I made him one.

Though I allowed stealing from most of them.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    On the same note, the dev should add a fence in BG2EE in ToB. I thought the smuggler merchant in Amketran is a fence, but he refused to buy stolen items.
    elminster