Skip to content

Ft/Cleric or Ft/Druid?

leddyhsleddyhs Member Posts: 54
I'm starting a new playthrough this weekend as a fighter/druid of fighter cleric. It's only meant to be for Baldur's Gate 1, so I'm working with the 161000 XP limit.

This means that within that limit, the maximum level for Clerics is 8 and maximum level for Druid is 10, and with the leftover XP, I can either get Ft6/Cl8 or Ft5/Dr10. To me this seems huge. Fighters get their profiency point at lvl 5, so the only gain from 1 more Ft level seems a little extra thac0, but you lose 2 thac0 from having 2 less levels on your cleric compared to druid.

So Ft/Dr looks better not only from that standpoint, but also for a few other reasons:

- Because level scaling you get more out of spells as lvl10 caster than you get as lvl8.
- While the 4th level spells for druid are a bit more limited limited, the fact that Druid gets to level 5 and with Ring of Holiness and Wisdom tomes can get total of 4 lvl5 spells where Clerics get none.

This is why I'm wondering why Ft/Cleric is so popular over Ft/Druid, even in BG1?

Comments

• BlaveBlave Member Posts: 39
    edited November 2012
    Actually, fighters get their Proficiency Points at level 3 and 6. Next one would be at level 9, but tha's unreachable with the level cap. That also means no Grandmastery.
    Dualing to Druid is also very hard because you need like Str 15, Wis 15 and Cha 17 or something like that. Rolling good stats for a Fighter>Cleric is much easier.
    I'd just go with a Ranger/Cleric. Either Multiclass for 7/7 or some form of dual-class. You can get 6>8.

EDIT: Been tinking about this for a bit. Turns out, you actually CAN reach Grand Mastery in BGEE. You need to start as Fighter, gain 6 or 7 levels and then dual to either druid or rogue. Those two classes get an additional prof point at level 8 (so do clerics but for them you need to dual at level 6, which makes you lose 1/2 attack). So you start with 2 points in your weapon of choice, increase to 3 and 4 on fighter levels 3 and 6, dual to Cleric/Druid/Rogue and upon reacing level 8 in you second class, put the 5th point in your weapon.

So you have a dual class Grand Master. Something no single class fighter can do. Boy, these XP-Tables are messed up... Ah well, might as well work with what we are given, right? ^^
    Post edited by Blave on
    DinsdalePiranha
  • leddyhsleddyhs Member Posts: 54
    I don't think the roll has to be that big. With the Charisma tome available, you can get by with only 16 charisma. Dexterity and intelligence can both be sacced, meaning the only thing you need really is 18stre, 18con, 18wis and 16 char.

Oh yeah, you're right about the profiencies, I misread these charts a bit:
    http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Progression_Charts#Druid
    http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Progression_Charts#Fighter
    http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Progression_Charts#Cleric

Assuming that's true, it's possible to get either.

1. 6ft/10druid ending up at 157000/161000.
    2. 6ft/8cleric ending up at 142000/161000.

Higher caster levels are not possible with BG1's xp limit.

So yeah, one wouldn't lose that profiency point.
    Well I usually aim for Dex 18 so the gauntlets can go to someone else. But yeah, you could sacrifice Dex and Int. For The figher>druid dual class I'd still go with 7 levels of fighter. Dualing just one level before you get the extra 1/2 attack seems like a waste and with 9 levels of druid you still get 5th level spells.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    leddyhs said:

1. 6ft/10druid ending up at 157000/161000.
    2. 6ft/8cleric ending up at 142000/161000.

That would put you somewhere above 300K XP, quite a bit more for the first option.

Dual-classing is still restricted by the overall cap of 161K XP, regardless of how you split it amongst your classes.

You're reading it wrong. He was saying that Ftr6/Druid10 takes 157000 of the maximum 161000 XP ;-)
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Fighter/Druid gets Iron Skins and anti-mage spells.
    Fighter/Cleric gets superior buffing spells.

Ranger/Cleric gets both. If you're multiclassing, go R/C.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    'zerker -> cleric. don't go up all the way to lvl 6 as a fighter, dual at 3 - you won't get basically any benefit except hp for those 3 levels, on the other hand, this way you can get grandmastery at cleric 8.

druid can also be pretty nice, just, y'know, don't waste levels.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    derp - I really should check stuff like that first...
  • AndtalathAndtalath Member Posts: 23
    Ranger/clerics get all the spells from both classes.
    Otoh, you get iron skins by the end if you play druid.

Either way works.