Skip to content

Start here for new players?

Hello, I have been following this game with interest for some time now, but I have never played any old school RPG's. Is this a good place as any to start? or would you recommend a different game like neverwinter nights 2?
Yes, I have read the complaints over this game, but for someone who has never played the original they hardly seem that significant as it seems mostly preferences/aesthetic reasons (bar the technical issues, so let's assume it will be fixed or I can run it in this thread).

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    This is the best possible game to start with.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    Absolutely, go, do it now! :D
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Depends on your level of interest and what games you usually like. The BG trilogy is an awesome, extensive and immersive adventure, but the learning curve is steep and the game doesn't do much in the way of holding your hand to help you scale it. I know several people who uninstalled in frustration a couple of hours in. Give it a try and see if it appears to be your kind of game. If not, NWN2 would be a good starting point as well.
  • TheSaviourTheSaviour Member Posts: 4
    Shin said:

Depends on your level of interest and what games you usually like. The BG trilogy is an awesome, extensive and immersive adventure, but the learning curve is steep and the game doesn't do much in the way of holding your hand to help you scale it. I know several people who uninstalled in frustration a couple of hours in. Give it a try and see if it appears to be your kind of game. If not, NWN2 would be a good starting point as well.

I am fairly sure it will be something I enjoy, as I love games that are kind of close to it, such as dragon age origins being one of my top games (not DA2... yuck) just never a D&D style. But yeah I think I will start here. However, if there are any other games like Baulder's Gate that are reccommended, what are they?
  • waardeniuswaardenius Member Posts: 58
    edited November 2012
    "I am fairly sure it will be something I enjoy, as I love games that are kind of close to it, such as dragon age origins being one of my top games (not DA2... yuck) just never a D&D style. But yeah I think I will start here. However, if there are any other games like Baulder's Gate that are reccommended, what are they?"

The true classics, as in the best and most influential RPGs of the late 90's and early 00's are in my estimation Baldur's Gate 1-2 and Fallout 1-2. The latter is obviously not DnD, but the "S.P.E.C.I.A.L" rule set is not that far fetched in comparison.

Then there's Planescape: Torment, which is brilliant but very much an acquired taste. A very "outré" setting and very dialogue heavy. Try it.

An honourable mention, I think to Arcanum. It never really worked out as it should have, but once you're finished with the others (which, of course, you never really are) this is worth checking out.
    Couldn't get the quote to work in the above post, no idea why.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November 2012
    @waardenius It's because the /blockquote end tag is at the end of your entry - it should be at the end of the text you're quoting, before your reply.

Edit: Never mind, was obviously just seeing my own quote tags.
    Shin said:

@waardenius It's because the /blockquote end tag is at the end of your entry - it should be at the end of the text you're quoting, before your reply.

I suppose so, I'm just unacustomed to the way it works. Fiddeling with it on my phone didn't really seem to be worth the effort.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited November 2012

Icewind dale and Planescape torment are the other 2 people will recommend.

I'd suggest starting with baldur's gate though. Planescape torment is a very wordy and unconventional rpg, and icewind dale is the polar opposite - a very combat heavy rpg. BG:EE is definitely the best place to start.
  • EidolonEidolon Member Posts: 99
    Baldur's Gate is definitely the best place to start. However keep in mind this game does not hold your hand. You'll have no quest assistance etc. You have a journal and you will have to figure out the rest.

Also if not starting with BG, I'd definitely not start with NWN2 but the first NWN instead. But once again BG is the best place to start.
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    I haven't played this game before, but I'm already thrilled! And dying a lot LOL!

It's refreshing to play a game with death-reload. I've been spoiled by too many games where if you duck behind a crate for a few seconds, ALL BULLET HOLES AND BROKEN BONES HEAL!!!¡ (though i still enjoy those games)

I am a fiend for story-heavy games... This stuff is my steak and potatoes!
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Go Baldur's Gate, but be prepared for some work... it really isn't easy to learn. However, it is very much worth it.
  • raelcariraelcari Member Posts: 133
    i also approve of your trying this game! it's the best!
    try not to turn to spoilers/walkthroughs unless you are really stuck tho, it will break your first time exp.